Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
Information about Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
Ofloxacin + metronidazole uses
How ofloxacin + metronidazole works
This is a combination of two antibiotics: Ofloxacin and Metronidazole. Ofloxacin works by preventing the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing, thereby killing the bacteria. Metronidazole kills parasites and anaerobic bacteria that cause infections by damaging their DNA. Together, they treat your infection effectively.
Common side effects of ofloxacin + metronidazole
Nausea, Dryness in mouth, Metallic taste, Headache
Available Medicine for Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
- ₹11 to ₹31Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹51Zuventus Healthcare Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹60Lekar Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹27 to ₹70Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹49J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹50Astrum Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹45Life Line Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹62Ravian Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21Shrinivas Gujarat Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹66Lark Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
- Your doctor has prescribed this combination medicine for the treatment of diarrhea and dysentery.
- Diarrhea can cause dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids to help rehydrate you.
- Consult your doctor if your diarrhea lasts for more than 48 hours.
- Do not use Ofloxacin + Metronidazole if you have blood in your stool or if you are severely constipated.
- It may cause dizziness and sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Ofloxacin + Metronidazole as it may irritate your stomach and also cause excessive drowsiness.
- Notify your doctor if you feel pain in your tendons, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
Ofloxacin + Metronidazole
Q. What are the instructions for the storage and disposal of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole?
Keep this medicine in the packet or the container it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.
Q. Can I take a higher than the recommended dose of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole?
No, taking a higher than the recommended dose of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole can lead to increased side effects. If you are experiencing increased severity of your symptoms which are not relieved by the recommended doses, please consult your doctor for re-evaluation.
Q. Can the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole cause metallic taste?
Yes, the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole can cause a temporary metallic taste. This metallic taste can be reduced by chewing sugar-free gum or mints, brushing teeth after the meals and by staying hydrated.
Q. Are there any specific contraindications associated with the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole?
The use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole is considered to be harmful for patients with known allergy to ofloxacin or to or any other excipient. It should also be preferably avoided in patients with history of any inflammation of the tendons (tendinitis), or tendon rupture seen with the use of ofloxacin or any other medicine which belongs to the same group (quinolone group) of antimicrobial agents and in patients with some neurological disorder.
Q. Can the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole cause nausea and vomiting?
Yes, the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole can cause nausea and vomiting. Taking it with milk, food or with antacids can prevent nausea. Avoid taking fatty or fried foods along with this medicine. In case of vomiting, drink plenty of water or other fluids by taking small frequent sips. Talk to your doctor if vomiting persists and you notice signs of dehydration, like dark colored and strong-smelling urine and a low frequency of urination. Do not take any other medicine without speaking to a doctor.
Q. Can the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole cause dryness in the mouth?
Yes, the use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole can cause dry mouth. If you experience dry mouth drink plenty of water. Take regular sips during the day and keep some water by your bed at night. You may use lip balm if your lips are also dry.
Q. Can I take Ofloxacin+Metronidazole while I am breastfeeding?
Ofloxacin+Metronidazole should be used with caution in nursing mothers as it can lead to serious side effects. You should always consult your doctor before taking Ofloxacin+Metronidazole.
Q. Are there any specific conditions in which Ofloxacin+Metronidazole should not to be taken?
The use of Ofloxacin+Metronidazole should be avoided in patients with known allergy to any of the components or excipients of this medicine.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Ofloxacin+Metronidazole?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Ofloxacin+Metronidazole when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Ofloxacin+Metronidazole and complete the full course of treatment even if you are feeling better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.
Q. What if I miss my dose?
Take Ofloxacin+Metronidazole as soon as you remember it. However, do not take it if it's almost time for your next dose. Also, do not take an extra dose to make up for your missed dose.