Information about Ofloxacin
Ofloxacin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is also used in infections of urinary tract, tonsils, sinus, nose, throat, female genital organ, skin and soft tissues, windpipe and lungs (pneumonia).
How ofloxacin works
Ofloxacin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from reproducing and repairing themselves. This treats your infection.
Common side effects of ofloxacin
Nausea, Diarrhoea, Allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Ofloxacin
- ₹34 to ₹158Zydus Cadila4 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹130Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹24 to ₹158J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹53Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹52Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹65BestoChem Formulations India Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹76Alkem Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹39 to ₹67Seagull Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹90Bal Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹47 to ₹112Merck Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ofloxacin
- Your doctor has prescribed Ofloxacin to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Ofloxacin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Notify your doctor if you feel pain in your tendons, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Ofloxacin
Q. What is Ofloxacin used for?
Ofloxacin is used to treat bacterial infections of the kidneys or bladder (urinary tract), chest or lungs, male or female sex organs (genital tract) which include gonorrhea, a sexually transmitted infection that can affect both men and women, and skin and soft tissue infections.
Q. Is Ofloxacin a fluoroquinolone antibiotic?
Ofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic and it works by killing the bacteria (bactericidal) that cause infections.
Q. Is Ofloxacin an antibiotic?
Ofloxacin is an antibiotic and it belongs to the group of fluoroquinolones.
Q. Is Ofloxacin bacteriostatic or bactericidal?
Ofloxacin is bactericidal (kills bacteria) and shows antibacterial activity against wide range of both gram negative and gram positive micro-organisms.
Q. Is Ofloxacin a penicillin?
Ofloxacin is not a penicillin. Ofloxacin belongs to fluoroquinolone group of antibiotics.
Q. Is Ofloxacin a painkiller?
Ofloxacin is not a pain killer. It is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.
Q. Is Ofloxacin a sulfa drug?
Ofloxacin is not a sulfa drug. Ofloxacin belongs to the group of fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
Q. Does Ofloxacin contain sulfa?
Ofloxacin does not contain sulfa. Ofloxacin belongs to a group of medicines called fluoroquinolone antibiotics.
Q. Does Ofloxacin affect birth control?
Ofloxacin does not affect birth control. No interactions have been seen when Ofloxacin is used with contraceptive pills. However, always talk to your doctor if you are asked to take any medicines when you are also taking birth control pills.
Q. Does Ofloxacin contain penicillin?
Ofloxacin does not contain penicillin. Ofloxacin belongs to fluoroquinolone group of antibiotics.
Q. Does Ofloxacin treat chlamydia?
Ofloxacin is active against chlamydia and can be used for treating the chlamydia infections. Please consult your doctor before taking any antibiotics for your infections.
Q. Does Ofloxacin expire?
Yes, Ofloxacin does expire. All the medicines come with an expiry date mentioned on the pack. You must check the expiry date before using any medicine.
Q. Can I take Ofloxacin with paracetamol?
Ofloxacin can be taken with paracetamol. No drug-drug interactions have been reported between the two. However, interactions can occur. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.
Q. Can I take Ofloxacin with ibuprofen?
Ofloxacin when taken with Ibuprofen, can increase the risk of some side effects. There are a few reports of seizures or fits when these ibuprofen has been taken with Ofloxacin. Please consult your doctor before taking the two medicines together.