Information about Neostigmine
Neostigmine is used in the treatment of myasthenia gravis, paralytic ileus, post-operative urinary retention and reversal of effect of skeletal muscle relaxant after surgery.
How neostigmine works
Neostigmine increases the levels of chemical messengers which allows free transmission of signals across the nerves and muscles.
Common side effects of neostigmine
Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal cramp, Diarrhoea, Excessive salivation
Available Medicine for Neostigmine
- ₹7 to ₹53Tablets India Limited2 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹45Neon Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7Biomiicron Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹22Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹9 to ₹22Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹21Themis Medicare Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Neostigmine
- You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time in case of a surgery.
- Use neostigmine with caution if you have epilepsy, bronchial asthma, bradycardia, recent coronary occlusion, vagotonia, hyperthyroidism, cardiac arrhythmias, peptic ulcer.
- Avoid taking large doses of neostigmine in situations where there might be an increased absorption rate from the intestinal tract. Use with caution when neostigmine is given along with anticholinergic drugs because of decreased GI motility.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as neostigmine can cause blurred vision or impaired thinking.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking neostigmine as it may worsen the side effects.
- Take precautions while taking neostigmine as over dosage of neostigmine can cause extreme muscle weakness.
Frequently asked questions for Neostigmine
Q. Is neostigmine an anticholinesterase/ anticholinergic/agonist/ cholinesterase inhibitor/ neurotransmitter?
Neostigmine is an anticholinesterase. But, it is not an anticholinergic, agonist, cholinesterase inhibitor or a neurotransmitter
Q. Does neostigmine cause nausea?
Yes, neostigmine causes mild nausea
Q. Does neostigmine reverse rocuronium/ reverse succinylcholine / inhibit pseudocholinesterase / cause histamine release?
Yes, Neostigmine causes reversal of rocuronium/ succinyl choline and inhibits pseudocholinesterease. It also causes histamine release.