Natamycin is used in the treatment of fungal infections of eye
How it works
Natamycin kills fungus by preventing them from making their protective covering.
Common side effects
Increased blood flow to tissues of the eye, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation), Hormone imbalance, Allergic reaction, Slow growth in children and teenagers, Altered vision, Chest pain, Corneal opacity, Shortness of breath, Eye discomfort, Eye irritation, Eye pain, Foreign body sensation, Eye swelling, Teary eyes
- ₹108Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹118Entod Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹117Sunways India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹168Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100Pharmtak Ophtalmics India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹107Optho Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹100Nri Vision Care Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹105Senses Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹79Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹86Cipla Ltd3 variant(s)
- Do not touch the tip of the dropper, as it may contaminate the solution.
- Do not stop using natamycin even if you feel well. To clear up your infection completely, use natamycin for the full course of treatment.
- Consult your doctor if symptoms do not get better within 7 to 10 days or they get worse.
- Do not wear contact lenses if have signs of conjunctivitis or keratitis.
- Natamycin is not recommended for use in children.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Does natamycin cause cancer?
Natamycin has no known effects on causing cancers
Q. Where does natamycin come from?
Natamycin is an antibiotic derived from Streptomyces natalensis
Q. How does natamycin work?
Natamycin belongs to a class of medicines called tetraene polyene antibiotic. Natamycin binds to the fungal cell wall, alters the permeability of the cell wall and causes depletion of the cellular contents; thereby reducing growth and proliferation of fungi
Q. Why natamycin does not affect bacteria?
The mechanism of action of natamycin is through binding of the molecule to the sterol moiety of the fungal cell membrane. Since bacterial cell wall doesn't contain sterol moiety, it doesn't affect bacteria.