Information about Naratriptan
Naratriptan is used in acute attack of migraine.
How naratriptan works
Migraine headaches are thought to result from the dilatation of blood vessels in the head. Naratriptan works by constricting (narrowing) these blood vessels, thereby relieving the migraine headaches.
Common side effects of naratriptan
Throat pain, Weakness, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Nausea, Dry mouth, Jaw pain, Sensation of heaviness, Neck pain, Warm sensation, Paresthesia (tingling or pricking sensation)
Available Medicine for Naratriptan
- ₹75Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Naratriptan
- To relieve migraine as soon as possible, take Naratriptan as soon as the headache begins.
- Lying down in a quiet and dark room for a while after you use Naratriptan may help to relieve the migraine.
- Take Naratriptan only as prescribed by the doctor. Using too much Naratriptan may increase the chances of side effects.
- Notify your doctor if your migraine headaches are occurring more often, than before you started using Naratriptan.
- Notify your doctor if you have used Naratriptan for at least three consecutive months.
- Avoid driving after taking as it may cause drowsiness and dizziness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Naratriptan, it can cause new and worse headaches.
Frequently asked questions for Naratriptan
Q. Is Naratriptan a controlled substance?
Naratriptan is not a controlled substance
Q. Is Naratriptan addictive?
It does not have potential for abuse or addiction
Q. Is Naratriptan a narcotic/ blood thinner/ antidepressant/ opiate?
No. Naratriptan is used for the treatment of severe migraine headaches. It does not induce sleep and is not known to have effects on viscosity of blood. Its mechanism of action is different from opiates
Q. Is Naratriptan an anti-inflammatory?
Naratriptan is not an anti-inflammatory, but is used for the treatment of severe migraine headaches.
Q. Does naratriptan contain aspirin/ sulfa/ ibuprofen/ caffeine?
No. Naratriptan does not contain aspirin, sulfa, caffeine or ibuprofen
Q. Does Naratriptan make you drowsy?
Yesit causes drowsiness (dizziness and sleepiness are among the known common side effects)
Q. Does Naratriptan raise blood pressure?
Increase in blood pressure is also a known side effect of Naratriptan
Q. Does Naratriptan get you high/ cause weight gain/ cause hair loss?
Increase in body weight, hair loss and making you feel extremely happy or high are not among the known side effects of Naratriptan treatment.