Information about Nalidixic Acid
Nalidixic acid uses
Nalidixic Acid is used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is also used in infections of urinary tract, tonsils, sinus, nose, throat, female genital organ, skin & soft tissues and lungs (pneumonia).
How nalidixic acid works
Nalidixic Acid is an antibiotic. It works by stopping the action of a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase. This prevents the bacterial cells from dividing and repairing, thereby killing them.
Common side effects of nalidixic acid
Nausea, Diarrhea, Headache, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Nalidixic Acid
- ₹22 to ₹27Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹14Adcock Ingram Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹36Ornate Labs Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹26PCI Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹17Suzikem Drugs Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Nalidixic Acid
- Your doctor has prescribed Nalidixic Acid to cure your infection and improve symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Discontinue Nalidixic Acid and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect but should stop when your course is complete. Inform your doctor if it doesn't stop or if you find blood in your stools.
- Notify your doctor if you feel pain in your tendons, numbness, or tingling sensations.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Nalidixic Acid
Q. Can the use of Nalidixic Acid cause diarrhea?
Yes, the use of Nalidixic Acid can cause diarrhea. It is an antibiotic which kills the harmful bacteria. However, it also affects the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine and causes diarrhea. If you are experiencing severe diarrhea, talk to your doctor about it.
Q. Can I stop taking Nalidixic Acid when I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Nalidixic Acid and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.