Information about Montelukast
Montelukast is used in asthma prevention and sneezing and runny nose due to allergies.
How montelukast works
Montelukast works by blocking the action of leukotriene, a chemical messenger. This reduces inflammation in the airways to prevent asthma and relieve symptoms of allergies.
Common side effects of montelukast
Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Flu-like symptoms
Available Medicine for Montelukast
- ₹8 to ₹240Cipla Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹171Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹78 to ₹165Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹232RPG Life Sciences Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹100 to ₹268MSD Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹83Apex Laboratories Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹91 to ₹170Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹100Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹117Delcure Life Sciences2 variant(s)
- ₹71 to ₹126Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Montelukast
- You have been prescribed Montelukast for asthma prevention and for the treatment of allergy symptoms such as sneezing and runny nose.
- It is a relatively safe medicine with very few side effects.
- Take Montelukast 2 hours before exercising if you have exercise-induced asthma.
- It does not work right away and should not be used to relieve sudden breathing problems. Use your rescue inhaler to control sudden difficulty in breathing.
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor, even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Montelukast
Q. Is Montelukast safe for long-term use?
Clinical reports of montelukast used for up to two years for adults and up to 12 months for children 6 to 14 years of age showed no significant safety issues. However, always take medicine for the duration as advised by your doctor.
Q. Does montelukast cause drowsiness?
Montelukast has been reported to cause drowsiness. If you experience any such symptom while using the drug, consult your doctor.
Q. Can the use of Montelukast cause weight gain?
Montelukast does not cause weight gain. Talk to your doctor if you experience weight gain while taking this drug as it could be due to some other underlying condition.
Q. Does Montelukast cause hair loss?
Montelukast does not cause hair loss. Talk to your doctor if you experience hair loss while taking this drug as it could be due to some other underlying condition.
Q. How long does Montelukast take to work?
Montelukast takes around 3-4 hours to work. However, you will be able to see its full effect after taking Montelukast regularly for 4-5 days.
Q. What is the best time to take Montelukast?
It is always best to take Montelukast as advised by your doctor. Usually, in asthma, Montelukast should be taken in the evening. If you are taking Montelukast for breathing difficulty due to exercise, this medicine should be taken once daily and at least 2 hours prior to exercise. In allergic rhinitis, it can be taken at any time of the day.
Q. What medicines should I avoid while taking Montelukast?
Montelukast can interact with several medicines. Therefore, do not take any medicines without talking to your doctor.