Information about Mitoxantrone
How mitoxantrone works
Mitoxantrone is an anti-cancer medication. It works by damaging the genetic material (DNA) of the cancer cells and stops their growth and multiplication.
Common side effects of mitoxantrone
Nausea, Vomiting, Infection, Hair loss, Decreased white blood cell count, Absence of menstrual periods, Anemia
Available Medicine for Mitoxantrone
- ₹467Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹370Vhb Life Sciences Inc1 variant(s)
- ₹461Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Mitoxantrone
- Mitoxantrone may turn your urine to a blue-green color and the whites of your eyes to a bluish color; this is not of a cause of concern.
- Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections as mitoxantrone may lower the ability of your body to fight infections.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps) while you are using mitoxantrone.
- Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury as mitoxantrone may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood making you more susceptible to bleeding. Seek immediate medical attention if you have unusual bruising or bleeding or if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Take precautions by staying hydrated especially if vomiting or diarrhea occurs.
- Ensure that cardiac monitoring is regularly performed and blood counts are taken at frequent intervals prior, during, and post therapy.
- Tell your doctor of any relevant medical history, especially of blood/bleeding disorders (e.g., anemia, low blood cell counts), heart disease (e.g., congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat), liver disease, radiation treatment, recent/current infection.
Frequently asked questions for Mitoxantrone
Q. Is Mitoxantrone an anthracycline/ a DNA binding vesicant/ a vesicant?
Mitoxantrone is not a vesicant. It is an anthracenedione (derivatives of anthraquinone) having antineoplastic properties
Q. Is Mitoxantrone a chemotherapy?
Mitoxantrone is an antineoplastic or anti-cancer chemotherapy agent
Q. How is Mitoxantrone administered?
Mitoxantrone is administered as an intravenous injection
Q. How does Mitoxantrone help multiple sclerosis?
Mitoxantrone will not cure multiple sclerosis (MS), but is effective in slowing the progression of secondary progressive MS and extending the time between relapses in relapsing-remitting MS and progressive relapsing MS.