Information about Milnacipran
Milnacipran is used in the treatment of depression, fibromyalgia and neuropathic pain.
How milnacipran works
Milnacipran works by increasing the levels of chemical messengers (serotonin and noradrenaline), natural substances in the brain that help maintain mental balance and stop the movement of pain signals in the brain.
Common side effects of milnacipran
Nausea, Vomiting, Dizziness, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Constipation, Anxiety, Decreased appetite, Increased sweating, Sexual dysfunction
Available Medicine for Milnacipran
- ₹57 to ₹108Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹95Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹66Ajanta Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Milnacipran
- You may have to wait for 2 to 4 weeks to get the full effect.
- If your doctor asks you to stop Milnacipran, you should not discontinue it abruptly. Many patients tolerate decreasing 50% dose every 3 days however if the withdrawal symptoms emerge during tapering it would require more gradual tapering over few weeks.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with any heart problems (heart attack, heart failure, slow or irregular heart rate).
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- It can cause a sensation of restlessness or an inability to sit or stand still. This is most likely to occur within the first few weeks of treatment. You should tell your doctor if this happens to you.
- It may be more effective in some patients with depression who fails to respond to selective serotonin receptor inhibitors (SSRI) e.g. Fluoxetine.
Frequently asked questions for Milnacipran
Q. Is Milnacipran addictive?
Milnacipran does not cause addiction
Q. Is Milnacipran narcotic?
Milnacipran is not a narcotic
Q. Is Milnacipran a generic or a controlled substance?
Milnacipran is a generic and not a controlled substance
Q. Does Milnacipran cause weight loss?
Milnacipran may cause this side effect. Call your doctor if you experience any unusual problems during your treatment.