Milk of Magnesia
Milk of Magnesia is used in constipation
How it works
Milk of Magnesia works by drawing water into the intestine through osmosis, that makes the stools soft and easier to pass.
Common side effects
Dehydration, Drug dependence
- 3 variant(s)
- Avoid taking a Milk of Magnesia for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Together with Milk of Magnesia, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- A Milk of Magnesia should preferably be taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
- Notify your doctor if you are on a low-sugar diet because the Milk of Magnesia contains sugars.
- Take Milk of Magnesia after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.