Metoprolol is used for increased blood pressure , angina, arrhythmias, heart attack, heart failure and migraine.
How it works
Metoprolol blocks the action of certain chemical messengers on the heart and blood vessels. This effect reduces heartbeat, blood pressure, and strain on the heart following a heart attack.
Common side effects
Nausea, Headache, Fatigue, Dizziness, Palpitations, Abdominal pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Breathlessness, Slow heart rate
- ₹71 to ₹131Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹123Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹127Cipla Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹78 to ₹139Astra Zeneca3 variant(s)
- ₹115 to ₹192Astra Zeneca3 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹93Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹108Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹113Ipca Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹31 to ₹109Abbott India Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹124USV Ltd4 variant(s)
- Metoprolol may cause dizziness and lightheadedness. To avoid this, get up slowly after sitting or lying down.
- The Metoprolol may affect your blood sugar and cover up the symptoms of low blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Metoprolol may reduce blood flow to your hands and feet, causing them to feel cold. Smoking may worsen this effect. Dress warmly and avoid the use of tobacco.
- Consult your doctor whether to continue Metoprolol before any scheduled surgery.
- It is not the first-choice treatment for high blood pressure according to the latest guidelines, except if you have a heart failure or heart disease.
- Adults over the age of 65 may be at greater risk for the side-effects.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is metoprolol safe?
Metoprolol (also available as metolar XR 50/ met Xl/ metolar/ embeta XR) is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is metoprolol a diuretic/ beta blocker/statin/ MAOI/ ACE inhibitor or ARB/ calcium channel blocker?
Metoprolol belongs to the class of beta-blocker drug. It is not a diuretic, statin, MAOI, ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker
Q. Is metoprolol tartrate the same as toprol XL?
Metoprolol tartrate and toprol XL are same and Toprol xl is the brand name of the generic drug metoprolol
Q. Can I take metoprolol with amlodipine/ Nyquil /Xanax/ Aspirin/ Ibuprofen/ Benadryl/ Zoloft/ Lisinopril?
Metoprolol can be taken with amlodipine, Lisinopril, Xanax and Aspirin. It is advised to take Nyquil and Metoprolol with doctor’s advice, because Nyquil contains antihistamines which might elevate blood pressure. Ibuprofen is NSAID, which interacts with metoprolol and should be avoided. Metoprolol may slow down the heart rate, and diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, so Benadryl should be taken only if needed and under doctor’s advice. Metoprolol tartrate oral will increase the level or effect of Zoloft (sertraline) by altering drug metabolism
Q. Does metoprolol cause hair loss/ headache/ lower heart rate/ lower blood pressure/ weight gain/ memory loss/ itching/ cough/ itching/ gas?
Metoprolol may cause some of these effects. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.