Information about Methylprednisolone
Methylprednisolone is used in the treatment of severe allergic reaction, allergic disorders, asthma, rheumatic disorder, skin disorders, eye disorders and nephrotic syndrome.
How methylprednisolone works
Methylprednisolone belongs to a group of medicines called as corticosteroids. It increases the level of corticosteroid, which are naturally present in the body and thereby controls inflammation. It has anti-inflammatory, metabolic, immune, and hormonal effects on the body..
Common side effects of methylprednisolone
Electrolyte imbalance, Redistribution/accumulation of body fat, Bone degradation, Increased risk of infection, Muscle disorders, Increased blood pressure, Increased glucose level in blood, Skin scar, Altered bone growth, Cataract, Behavioural changes
Available Medicine for Methylprednisolone
- ₹46 to ₹1399Pfizer Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹70 to ₹94Pfizer Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹122Pfizer Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹975Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹32 to ₹89Mankind Pharma Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹40 to ₹95Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹72 to ₹1034Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹89Zydus Cadila3 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹605Gland Pharma Limited4 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹51Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Methylprednisolone
Do not take the medicine:
- If you are allergic to it or to any other content in the medicine.
- If you have a serious infection, particularly in the lungs or esophagus, that is untreated.
Do not stop this medicine before recommended duration. Consult your doctor for gradual reduction of dose.Do not receive a "live" vaccine while using methylprednisolone. The vaccine may not work as well during this time, and may not fully protect you from disease.Inform your doctor before taking the medicine:
- If you are suffering from any infection.
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding a baby.
Inform your doctor before taking the medicine:
- If you are taking antibiotics for any infection, pain killers or contraceptive pills or any medication for heart disease or peptic ulcer.
- If you are going to undergo any laboratory test.
Stay away from people who are suffering from infections like chicken-pox, measles, shingles or tuberculosis.
Frequently asked questions for Methylprednisolone
Q. Is Methylprednisolone a steroid or an antibiotic drug?
Methylprednisolone is a corticosteroid/steroid drug. It is not an antibiotic
Q. Is Methylprednisolone a narcotic or addictive drug?
No. Methylprednisolone is not a narcotic or an addictive drug
Q. Can I take Methylprednisolone if I have high blood pressure?
You can take Methylprednisolone if you have high blood pressure, only when prescribed by your doctor. It is prescribed in such situation when benefit outweighs the risk