Information about Methyldopa
Methyldopa is used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Decreasing high blood pressure lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
How methyldopa works
Methyldopa is an alpha-2 agonist. It works by relaxing blood vessels which makes the heart more efficient at pumping blood around the body.
Common side effects of methyldopa
Dizziness, Fatigue, Sleepiness, Dryness in mouth, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Methyldopa
- ₹24 to ₹47Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹46 to ₹99Dahlia Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹71Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30Indian Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Methyldopa
- Do not discontinue use without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
- For best results, take Methyldopa at the same time every day. Take last dose of the day at bedtime.
- Eat healthy (low-fat, high-fibre, low-sodium diet), quit smoking, limit alcohol intake, increase your physical activity, watch your weight, and reduce stress.
- Dry mouth may occur as a side effect. Frequent mouth rinses, good oral hygiene, increased water intake and sugarless candy may help.
- Dizziness or fainting may occur, especially when rising from a lying or sitting position. Getting up slowly may help improve the problem.
- May cause dizziness and lightheadedness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Urine may become red-black when left standing.
Frequently asked questions for Methyldopa
Q. Is methyldopa a beta blocker/ blood thinner/ diuretic/ calcium channel blocker?
Methyldopa is an alpha-2 receptor agonist. It is not a beta blocker, blood thinner, diuretic or calcium channel blocker
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol/ aspirin/ melatonin with methyldopa?
Methyldopa is known to interact with NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin. However, there is no known interaction with melatonin. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. Does Methyldopa cause weight gain/ make you tired/ lower heart rate/ hair loss/ birth defects/ dry mouth/ swelling?
Methyldopa is known to cause tiredness, dry mouth and swelling. However it does not cause weight gain, lower heart rate, cause birth defects. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.