Information about Methyldopa
Methyldopa is used in the treatment of hypertension.
How methyldopa works
Methyldopa works by decreasing the levels of certain chemical messengers in the body. As a result, Methyldopa lowers the blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels.
Common side effects of methyldopa
Headache, Dry mouth, Nausea, Vomiting, Fatigue, Drowsiness, Dizziness, Constipation, Erectile dysfunction, Sleep disorder, Depression, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Methyldopa
- ₹46Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹99Dahlia Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Methyldopa
- Do not take methyldopa if you ever had or have any allergy to methyldopa, or to any of the other ingredients.
- Avoid taking methyldopa if you have high blood pressure due to a tumor near your kidney called ‘phaeochromocytoma’.
- Do not take methyldopa if you have liver or kidney disease, or depression.
- Do not take methyldopa if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breast-feeding.
- Do not drive or use any tools or machines as you may feel drowsy or light-headed while taking methyldopa.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using methyldopa.
- Methyldopa may affect the results of certain laboratory tests: regular checks (before the start of treatment and 6-12 weeks later) may be carried out on blood cells and liver function.
Frequently asked questions for Methyldopa
Q. Is methyldopa a beta blocker/ blood thinner/ diuretic/ calcium channel blocker?
Methyldopa is an alpha-2 receptor agonist. It is not a beta blocker, blood thinner, diuretic or calcium channel blocker
Q. Can I take ibuprofen/ paracetamol/ aspirin/ melatonin with methyldopa?
Methyldopa is known to interact with NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, paracetamol, aspirin. However, there is no known interaction with melatonin. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. Does Methyldopa cause weight gain/ make you tired/ lower heart rate/ hair loss/ birth defects/ dry mouth/ swelling?
Methyldopa is known to cause tiredness, dry mouth and swelling. However it does not cause weight gain, lower heart rate, cause birth defects. Please consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.