Information about Methionine
Methionine is used in the treatment of nutritional deficiencies.
How methionine works
Methionine belongs to the class of compounds known as amino acids. Methionine works by removing harmful breakdown products of paracetamol in the liver.
Common side effects of methionine
Disorientation (alteration of mental status), Fever, Decreased blood pressure, Nausea, Vomiting
Available Medicine for MethionineNo medicine available
Expert advice for Methionine
- Tell your doctor if you are have liver disorder, mental disorder such as schizophrenia, taking levodopa for Parkinsonism or taking any other medication.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery as methionine can cause drowsiness.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do take if allergic to methionine or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if having metabolic acidosis. (A condition in which body is not able to keep correct balance between acids and alkalis in the blood).
- Patients with more than 10 hours of paracetamol overdose.
Frequently asked questions for Methionine
Q. Is Methionine an essential amino acid?
Yes. It is classified as essential amino acid since it is obtained from dietary sources and cannot be synthesized in body
Q. Is Methionine safe?
Methionine is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. Please follow your doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. Does Methionine causes cancer or diarrhea?
No. Within safe dose range it does not cause cancer or diarrhea.