Information about Meropenem
Meropenem is used in severe bacterial infections. It is used in infections of various body parts like skin and soft tissues, urinary tract, blood, brain and lungs (pneumonia).
How meropenem works
Meropenem is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering (cell wall) which is needed for them to survive.
Common side effects of meropenem
Rash, Headache, Vomiting, Nausea, Injection site reactions (pain, swelling, redness)
Available Medicine for Meropenem
- ₹1475 to ₹2733AstraZeneca2 variant(s)
- ₹270 to ₹646Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹165 to ₹2200Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹192 to ₹4200Cipla Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹174 to ₹1350Zuventus Healthcare Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹270 to ₹969Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹145 to ₹600Alkem Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹149 to ₹1050Lupin Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹1543 to ₹3195Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹137 to ₹900Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
Expert advice for Meropenem
- Meropenem is an antibiotic that's usually only given in the hospital for serious infections.
- It is given by a drip into a vein (intravenous infusion) over 20 to 60 minutes.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to penicillin or if you are taking any seizure medication before starting treatment with this medication.
- Diarrhea may occur as a side effect. Inform your doctor if you develop severe stomach pain or if you find blood in your stools.
- Your doctor may monitor your kidney function while you are having treatment with this medication.
Frequently asked questions for Meropenem
Q. Is Meropenem a strong antibiotic?
Yes, Meropenem is a strong antibiotic i.e broad spectrum antibiotic (antibiotics that can kill a wide variety of bacteria). It belongs to the category of antibiotics called carbepenam. It is used in the treatment of sever bacterial infections of skin, stomach, brain and lungs.
Q. For how long is Meropenem used?
Duration of treatment with Meropenem depends on the severity of your infection, which will be decided by your doctor.
Q. How long does Meropenem take to work?
Usually, Meropenem starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.