Information about Mercaptopurine
Mercaptopurine is used in the treatment of blood cancer.
How Mercaptopurine works
Mercaptopurine interferes with the growth of DNA and RNA of the cancer cells by substituting their building blocks. It prevents the cancer cells from growing and multiplying.
Common side effects of Mercaptopurine
Nausea, Vomiting, Rash, Decreased white blood cell count (neutrophils), Intestinal ulcer, Anemia (low number of red blood cells), Increased bilirubin in the blood, Low blood platelets, Increased transaminase level in blood, Diarrhea, Loss of appetite
Available Medicine for Mercaptopurine
CaptomerNeon Laboratories Ltd
MercaptholArvind Laboratories Pvt Ltd
Puri NetholGlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
MercaptoChandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd
EmpurineDabur India Ltd
PurinetoneVhb Life Sciences Inc
Expert advice for Mercaptopurine
- Mercaptopurine is used for the treatment of cancer of the blood.
- Take it with or without food.
- Do not drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Use a reliable contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy while you are taking this medicine.
- Your doctor may get regular blood and urine tests done to monitor your blood cells, kidney and liver function during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor immediately if you notice any signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash or severe diarrhea.