Information about Memantine
Memantine is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. It should be used in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease.
How Memantine works
Memantine is an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist. Memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease is due to excessive production of glutamate (chemical messenger) in the brain which is mediated by NMDA receptors. Memantine works by preventing the action of NMDA receptors and regulates the production of glutamate. involved in the transmission of nerve signals. This is how it prevents memory loss in Alzheimer’s disease.
Common side effects of Memantine
Dizziness, Headache, Confusion, Sleepiness, Diarrhea, Abnormal liver function tests, Balance disorder (loss of balance), Breathlessness, Pulmonary hypertension (high blood pressure), Hypersensitivity
Available Medicine for Memantine
AdmentaSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
₹63 to ₹1926 variant(s)
NemdaaIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹82 to ₹1572 variant(s)
LarentineLa Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd
₹88 to ₹1542 variant(s)
EbixaLundbeck India Pvt Ltd
AdmitineChemo Healthcare Pvt Ltd
DmentinMicro Labs Ltd
₹55 to ₹952 variant(s)
AlmantinSun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd
DemenzilAlkem Laboratories Ltd
₹90 to ₹1602 variant(s)
AlzitinConsern Pharma Limited
₹110 to ₹1922 variant(s)
MentademTorrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹49 to ₹3642 variant(s)
Expert advice for Memantine
- You have been prescribed Memantine to slow down the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- It is well tolerated and has lesser side effects as compared to other similar medicines.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration until you know how Memantine affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you have a history of seizures, kidney disease, heart disease, or liver disease.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.