Information about Mefloquine
Mefloquine is used in the treatment of malaria.
How mefloquine works
Mefloquine is an antiparasitic medication which treats malaria. It works by increasing the levels of haeme in the blood, a substance toxic to the malarial parasite. This kills the parasite and stops the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of mefloquine
Abdominal pain, Abnormal dreams, Anxiety, Chills, Depression, Diarrhea, Dizziness, Fever, Headache, Altered heart rate, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Itching, Loss of appetite, Muscle pain, Nausea, Rash, Ringing in ear, Vertigo, Visual impairment, Vomiting, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Mefloquine
- ₹207Zydus Cadila1 variant(s)
- ₹197Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹78 to ₹108Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹305Ipca Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹338Allenge India1 variant(s)
- ₹338Zodak Healthcare1 variant(s)
- ₹65Lexica Drugs & Formulations Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹380Acron Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
- ₹214Ikon Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹295Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Mefloquine
- Consult your doctor before taking mefloquine if you have fits (seizures), any heart diseases or liver disorders.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you experience pain, burning, tingling, numbness in hands/feet and/or muscle weakness or problems in eyes or with vision after taking mefloquine.
- Do not drive or operate machinery while using mefloquine as it may cause dizziness and visual disturbances.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Mefloquine
Q. Is Mefloquine safe?
Yes. Mefloquine is safe if used at the prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Mefloquine safe for babies?
It is not recommended for use in babies below 3 months and weighing less than 5 kg
Q. Is mefloquine an antibiotic/ a quinolone/ does it contain sulphur or sulfa/ contain quinine?
No. Mefloquine is an antimalarial drug with activity against malaria causing parasites. It is a quinine antimalarial and does not contain sulphur/ sulfa or quinolone
Q. Is mefloquine the same as doxycycline/ chloroquine?
No. Mefloquine is not the same as doxycycline or chloroquine. All three drugs have different mechanism of action and indications
Q. How does Mefloquine work?
Mefloquine is an antimalarial drug. It works by killing the malaria causing parasite by destroying the parasites at a crucial stage of development (asexual intraerythocytic stage)
Q. What does Mefloquine treat?
Mefloquine is used in the prevention and treatment of malaria
Q. Does Mefloquine cause insomnia?
Yes. Insomnia (difficulty falling asleep) is a common side effect of Mefloquine treatment
Q. Is Mefloquine safe for G6PD deficiency?
Yes. Studies have indicated that Mefloquine is safe for use in glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.