Information about Mefloquine
Mefloquine is used in the treatment of malaria.
How Mefloquine works
Mefloquine is an antiparasitic medication which treats malaria. It works by increasing the levels of haeme in the blood, a substance toxic to the malarial parasite. This kills the parasite and stops the infection from spreading.
Common side effects of Mefloquine
Abdominal pain, Abnormal dreams, Anxiety, Chills, Depression, Diarrhea, Dizziness, Fever, Headache, Atrial arrhythmias (altered heart rate), Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Itching, Loss of appetite, Muscle pain, Nausea, Rash, Ringing in ear, Vertigo, Visual impairment, Vomiting, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Mefloquine
MeflocAristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
MeflotasIntas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
₹78 to ₹1092 variant(s)
LarimefIpca Laboratories Ltd
MeflotagIkon Remedies Pvt Ltd
MepalexLexica Drugs & Formulations Pvt Ltd
Expert advice for Mefloquine
- Mefloquine should be taken with food to prevent a stomach upset.
- Finish the prescribed course, even if you start to feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection come back and harder to treat.
- Tips to reduce the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes:
- Wear light-colored and covered clothing when you are outside after sunset.
- Use insect repellent creams or sprays on parts of your body not covered by clothing.
- Spray to kill any mosquitoes that may have entered rooms in spite of screening.
- It may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Do not drive or do anything that requires concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Inform your doctor if you have kidney liver or heart disease.