Information about Mefenamic Acid
Mefenamic acid uses
Mefenamic Acid is used in fever, arthralgia, myalgia, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post operative pain and pain during menstruation.
How mefenamic acid works
Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking the release of certain chemical messengers that cause fever, pain and inflammation (redness and swelling).
Common side effects of mefenamic acid
Abdominal pain, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Epigastric pain, Flatulence, Nausea, Vomiting, Indigestion
Available Medicine for Mefenamic Acid
- ₹19 to ₹32Blue Cross Laboratories Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹29Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31Serum Institute Of India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30Mankind Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹31Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹32Veritaz Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹39Jenburkt Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹30Seagull Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35P & B Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Mefenamic Acid
- It should be taken with food or milk to avoid getting an upset stomach.
- It can cause serious complications like stomach bleeding and kidney problems if taken for a long time.
- Mefenamic Acid can raise your risk of blood clots, heart attack, or a stroke.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Mefenamic Acid
Q. Is mefenamic acid an antibiotic/ contain codeine?
No. Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug used to treat mild to moderate pain conditions and fever. It not an antibiotic and does not contain codeine
Q. Is Mefenamic Acid a painkiller?
Yes. Mefenamic Acid is mild to moderate painkiller drug
Q. Is Mefenamic Acid safe?
Mefenamic Acid is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Mefenamic Acid good for toothache/ for back pain/ headache?
Yes, Mefenamic Acid can be used to relieve dental pain, back pain and headache
Q. Does Mefenamic Acid stop periods/ stop bleeding?
Mefenamic Acid is used for relieving pain that happens before or during a menstrual period. It does not stop periods or bleeding. Always consult your doctor regarding its use
Q. Can I take mefenamic acid with naproxen/ paracetamol/ ibuprofen/ metronidazole/ withtramadol/ with tranexamic acid/ with sertraline/ amoxicillin?
Mefenamic acid may interact with the drugs mentioned above. Always consult your physician for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be require
Q. Does Mefenamic Acid make you drowsy?
Mefenamic Acid has a rare side effect of causing drowsiness. Always consult your doctor, if you experience such side effects.