Information about Lubiprostone
Lubiprostone is used in the treatment of constipation.
How lubiprostone works
Lubiprostone increases the secretion of fluids in the intestine, which in turn increases the motility of the intestine, thereby making the stool soft and easier to pass.
Common side effects of lubiprostone
Nausea, Headache, Dizziness, Palpitations, Edema, Dyspepsia, Abdominal pain, Abdominal distension, Increased sweating, Hot flushes, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Breathlessness.
Available Medicine for Lubiprostone
- ₹187 to ₹293Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Lubiprostone
- Lubiprostone should preferably be taken with meals to reduce symptoms of nausea.
- Seek medical attention if you experience severe diarrhea, breathlessness (dyspnea) or difficulty in breathing, chest pain, tightness in chest during treatment.
- You should be thoroughly examined to confirm the absence of obstruction (e.g. gall stones, hernia, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, polyps, impacted bowel movement etc.) before starting lubiprostone treatment.
- Lubiprostone is not recommended in children under 18 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Lubiprostone
Q. Is lubiprostone a steroid?
No. Lubiprostone does not have a chemical structure or mechanism of action similar to steroids.