Information about Loteprednol
Loteprednol is used in the treatment of eye pain. It is used to prevent and treat inflammation and associated symptoms following eye surgery.
How loteprednol works
Loteprednol is a topical steroid (anti-inflammatory medicine). It works by stopping the release of certain natural substances in the eye that are responsible for pain and inflammation (redness and swelling).
Common side effects of loteprednol
Eye discharge, Dry eye, Teary eyes, Foreign body sensation in eyes, Eye redness, Burning sensation around the eyes
Available Medicine for Loteprednol
- ₹125Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹156Allergan India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹113 to ₹124Ajanta Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹100Ajanta Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹96Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹101Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹110 to ₹114Indoco Remedies Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹92Optho Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹70Optica Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹86Sunways India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Loteprednol
- Your doctor has prescribed Loteprednol to treat inflammation (redness and swelling) of the eye due to allergy or after Lasik surgery.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better.
- Do not use Loteprednol for more than the prescribed duration as it may cause glaucoma or secondary infection.
- It acts mainly on the surface of the eye and does not increase eye pressure as much as other steroid medications.
- May require frequent follow-ups with the doctor to monitor side effects.
- Apply pressure on the corner of the eye (close to the nose) for about 1 minute immediately after instilling the drop.
- Wait for at least 5-10 minutes before delivering the next medication in the same eye to avoid dilution.
- Stinging sensation may occur for 1-2 mins. Notify your doctor if it persists for longer.
- Make sure to use within 4 weeks of opening the bottle.
- Take with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Dose is decreased or tapered over time.
- Most side effects occur with high doses and on long-term use.
- Your risk of getting an infection may become higher. Tell your doctor immediately if you have a fever, flu-like symptoms, cough, painful urination, or a wound that does not heal.
Frequently asked questions for Loteprednol
Q. What is Loteprednol/Loteprednol etabonate?
Loteprednol is a corticosteroid available as an eye drop that reduces inflammation of superficial structures of the eye.