Information about Lorazepam
Lorazepam is used in the treatment of short term anxiety and epilepsy.
How lorazepam works
Lorazepam is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
Common side effects of lorazepam
Sleepiness, Memory impairment, Dizziness, Uncoordinated body movements, Fatigue, Constipation, Slurred speech, Headache, Irritability, Depression, Dryness in mouth
Available Medicine for Lorazepam
- ₹61 to ₹75Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹45Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹34Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹25Talent India2 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹24Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹26Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹18 to ₹23Unison Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19 to ₹25Icon Life Sciences2 variant(s)
- ₹20 to ₹25Shine Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23Nusearch Organic1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Lorazepam
- If you are taking Lorazepam for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety, it should not be used more than 4 weeks.
- It may become less effective over the time.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Lorazepam, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- The addiction / habit-forming potential of Lorazepam is very high.
Frequently asked questions for Lorazepam
Q. Is Lorazepam addictive or habit forming or narcotic?
Lorazepam is addictive and habit forming, as on prolonged use, it may make you dependent such that you will not be able to sleep or function normally without taking it. It is therefore classified as a narcotic and only the exact quantity required by you will be provided by the chemist/pharmacist after producing a prescriptio
Q. Is Lorazepam the same as Xanax (alprazolam) or Valium (diazepam)?
Lorazepam. Xanax (alprazolam) and Valium (diazepam) belong to the same group of drugs called benzodiazepines, but they are used for different indications
Q. Is Lorazepam a muscle relaxer?
Yes. Lorazepam acts on the brain to relax muscles
Q. Is Lorazepam a beta blocker or SSRI?
Lorazepam is neither a beta blocker (anti-hypertensive) or SSRI (anti-depressant); it belongs to a group of drugs called benzodiazepines
Q. Can I take Lorazepam for a long time or can I take Lorazepam forever or how long can I take Lorazepam or can you take Lorazepam for years?
This drug should be used for only a short time. Do not take this medication for longer than 4 months without your doctor's advice
Q. Can I take Lorazepam for pain?
No. Lorazepam is not a pain-relieving medication. Use it only as advised by your doctor
Q. Can you take Lorazepam for anxiety?
Yes, it is used to treat anxiety
Q. Can I take lorazepam with melatonin/ Zoloft (sertraline)/ tramadol/ Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone)/ Advil (ibuprofen)/ Ambien (Zolpidem)/ Wellbutrin (bupropion)/ Tylenol (paracetamol)?
Lorazepam has no known harmful interaction with Advil (ibuprofen) or Tylenol (paracetamol); hence can be taken together. Drugs like melatonin/ Zoloft (sertraline)/ tramadol/ Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone)/ Ambien (Zolpidem)/ Wellbutrin (bupropion) can increase the side-effects of lorazepam, and vice verca. Please consult your doctor before taking lorazepam with any other drug
Q. Can I take Lorazepam with prednisone?
Lorazepam has no known harmful interaction with prednisone, but always consult with your doctor before taking this medication
Q. Does Lorazepam get you high?
Lorazepam enhances the action of a signaling chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain and thus produces a calming effect. This calming effect may be perceived as pleasant or feeling high by some individuals. On prolonged use, Lorazepam may also make an individual dependant such that they are not be able to sleep or function normally without taking it
Q. Does Lorazepam lower blood pressure?
Lorazepam itself can rarely lower blood pressure. However, it is known to potentiate the effect of medicines used to treat high blood pressure, and cause excessive lowering of blood pressure
Q. Does Lorazepam make you sleepy?
Yes, excessive sleepiness and daytime drowsiness are few of the side-effects of Lorazepam
Q. Does Lorazepam cause erectile dysfunction?
Lorazepam can interfere with sexual function and very rarely causes erectile dysfunction (i.e. inability to achieve erection).