Lopinavir is used to treat human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. It is always used in combination with other drugs used for treatment of HIV.
How it works
Lopinavir belongs to the class of medications called as antiretroviral agents. It works by inhibiting HIV viral protease enzyme and inhibiting viral replication (multiplication) thereby preventing the infection.
Common side effects
Pancreatic inflammation, Acute colitis, Diarrhoea, Headache, Increased cholesterol level in blood, Vomiting, Weakness
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Tell your doctor if you are suffering from diabetes mellitus, severe liver or kidney impairment, haemophilia (disorder of excessive bleeding due to defective coagulation), heart disorder.
- Tell your doctor if you have high cholesterol or triglyceride levels, or hemophilia or any another bleeding disorder.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to lopinavir or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if taking medications called ergot derivatives.
- Do not ake if suffering from pancreatitis (inflammation of tissue of pancreas)
- Do not take give to children below 2 years of age
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is Lopinavir safe?
Lopinavir is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.