Information about Loperamide
Loperamide is used in the treatment of diarrhoea. It should not be used in patients with dysentery (diarrhea with blood).
How loperamide works
Loperamide is an anti-diarrhoeal medication. It works by decreasing contraction of the intestines which makes stools more solid and less frequent.
Common side effects of loperamide
Nausea, Headache, Constipation, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Loperamide
- ₹24 to ₹400Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40RPG Life Sciences Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹21Veritaz Healthcare Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19Gufic Bioscience Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹23Vanguard Therapeutics Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹26Adonis Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹42Agron Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9Mac Millon Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Loperamide
- Consult your doctor if you have diarrhea lasting for more than 48 hours.
- Don't use if you have blood in your stool or it's dark or black in color.
- The drug can make you dizzy or drowzy. Avoid driving or operating any heavy machinery when taking this drug.
- Try to drink plenty of fluids. Having diarrhea can make you dehydrated.
- Do not take loperamide if you are allergic to it.
- Do not take this drug if you have blood in your stools or if your stools are dark or black in colour.
- Do not take this drug if you are severly constipated.
Frequently asked questions for Loperamide
Q. Is Loperamide safe?
Loperamide is relatively safe if used as recommended. In case of any side effects, consult your doctor.
Q. What is Loperamide used for?
Loperamide is used for treating short-term or long-term diarrhea, with or without any associated disease.
Q. Can Loperamide be used for IBS?
Loperamide may be used in few cases of IBS but please consult your doctor before its use.
Q. Can I take Loperamide with antibiotics, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omeprazole, ciprofloxacin, desmopressin, ritonavir, quinidine or cotrimoxazole?
Loperamide may be taken simultaneously with antibiotics, paracetamol, ibuprofen, omiprazole or ciprofloxacin. Loperamide might interact with desmopressin, ritonavir, quinidine or cotrimoxazole. Please consult your doctor before use
Q. Does Loperamide help in opiate withdrawal?
Loperamide is used in higher doses as a part of opiate withdrawal process. However, do consult your doctor regarding the same.
Q. Is Loperamide addictive?
No, Loperamide is a safe and non-addictive anti-diarrheal drug.
Q. Can Loperamide be used for stomach cramps, nausea, stomach flu, rota virus diarrhea and gas?
Loperamide may benefit few cases of stomach cramps or nausea associated with diarrhea. It is sometimes used for stomach flu, rota virus diarrhea. It is not used for gas. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug.
Q. Can I take Loperamide with cimetidine?
Cimetidine can decrease the metabolism of Loperamide, increase its blood levels and hence, increase its effects and side effects. Your dose of Loperamide may needs to be decreased. Consult your doctor prior to taking both the drugs together.