Information about liquid paraffin
Liquid paraffin uses
liquid paraffin is used in the treatment of constipation.
How liquid paraffin works
Liquid paraffin belongs to a class of drugs called laxatives. It works by softening the hard stools and thus relieves constipation. It also acts as an emollient (agent that softens or soothes the skin) that moisturizes dry skin, thereby relieving dryness and itching.
Common side effects of liquid paraffin
Abdominal pain, Anal irritation.
Available Medicine for liquid paraffin
- ₹110FDC Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75General Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for liquid paraffin
- Together with liquid paraffin, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- Avoid taking a liquid paraffin for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Take liquid paraffin after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.
- A liquid paraffin should be preferably taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
- liquid paraffin may be taken with milk or fruit juice to improve the flavor.
Frequently asked questions for liquid paraffin
Q. Is liquid paraffin good for constipation?
Yes, liquid paraffin provides temporary relief from constipation
Q. Is liquid paraffin good for dry skin?
Yes, liquid paraffin helps to moisturize dry skin.