liquid paraffin is used in the treatment of constipation
How it works
Liquid paraffin belongs to a class of drugs called laxatives. It works by softening the hard stools and thus relieves constipation. It also acts as an emollient (agent that softens or soothes the skin) that moisturizes dry skin, thereby relieving dryness and itching.
Common side effects
Abdominal pain, Anal irritation
- Together with liquid paraffin, fiber rich diet containing whole grain bread and cereals, bran, fruits and green leafy vegetables, is essential to maintain healthy bowel function.
- Avoid taking a liquid paraffin for more than 1 week, unless prescribed by the doctor, as it leads to dependency on the laxative action to produce a bowel movement.
- Take liquid paraffin after 2 hours from other medicines, as it may interfere with the absorption of other medicines.
- A liquid paraffin should be preferably taken at bedtime because it requires 6 to 8 hours to show impact.
- liquid paraffin may be taken with milk or fruit juice to improve the flavor.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is liquid paraffin good for constipation?
Yes, liquid paraffin provides temporary relief from constipation
Q. Is liquid paraffin good for dry skin?
Yes, liquid paraffin helps to moisturize dry skin.