Levodopa + Carbidopa + Entacapone
Information about Levodopa + Carbidopa + Entacapone
Levodopa + carbidopa + entacapone uses
Levodopa+Carbidopa+Entacapone is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How levodopa + carbidopa + entacapone works
This is a combination of three medicines: Levodopa, Carbidopa and Entacapone which treat Parkinsonism. Levodopa is a Carbidopa precursor which gets converted to dopamine, a chemical messenger that controls movement in the brain. Carbidopa is a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor which prevents the breakdown of Levodopa allowing it to enter the brain and increase dopamine levels. Entacapone is COMT inhibitor which causes higher and more sustained levels of levodopa in blood, leading to greater relief from the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
Common side effects of levodopa + carbidopa + entacapone
Nausea, Vomiting, Constipation, Urine discolouration, Headache, Dryness in mouth, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Anxiety, Dizziness, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Abnormal dreams
Available Medicine for Levodopa + Carbidopa + Entacapone
- ₹84 to ₹112Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹110Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹62Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Levodopa + Carbidopa + Entacapone
- You have been prescribed Levodopa + Carbidopa + Entacapone to treat your symptoms of parkinson's disease.
- Avoid a high-protein diet (eg.meat, poultry, and dairy products) while you are taking this medicine as that can reduce the amount of medication absorbed by your body.
- It may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor. It may result in a serious syndrome that causes fever, stiff muscles, unusual body movements, sweating and confusion.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or notice other changes in your behavior.