Levodopa + Carbidopa
Information about Levodopa + Carbidopa
Levodopa + carbidopa uses
Levodopa+Carbidopa is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How levodopa + carbidopa works
This is a combination of two medicines: Levodopa and Carbidopa which treat Parkinsonism. Levodopa is a dopamine precursor which gets converted to dopamine, a chemical messenger that controls movement in the brain. Carbidopa is a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor which prevents breakdown of levodopa allowing it to enter the brain and increase dopamine levels.
Common side effects of levodopa + carbidopa
Nausea, Vomiting, Dryness in mouth, Constipation, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Headache, Abnormal dreams, Anxiety, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Abnormality of voluntary movements, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Levodopa + Carbidopa
- ₹16 to ₹42Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹15 to ₹42Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹33Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹12Wockhardt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Levodopa + Carbidopa
- You have been prescribed Levodopa + Carbidopa to treat your symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
- It can be taken with or without food or as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce/avoid a high-protein diet (eg.meat, poultry, and dairy products) while you are taking the medicine as it can reduce the amount of medication absorbed by your body.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Levodopa + Carbidopa can make you very sleepy.
- When you start the medication, get out of bed slowly, as the medication may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
- Do not stop taking the medication without talking to your doctor. It may result in a serious syndrome that causes fever, stiff muscles, unusual body movements, sweating and confusion.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.