Levodopa + Carbidopa
Information about Levodopa + Carbidopa
Levodopa + carbidopa uses
Levodopa+Carbidopa is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
How levodopa + carbidopa works
This is a combination of two medicines: Levodopa and Carbidopa which treats Parkinsonism. Levodopa is a dopamine precursor which gets converted to dopamine, a chemical messenger that controls movement in the brain. Carbidopa is a peripheral decarboxylase inhibitor which prevents breakdown of levodopa allowing it to enter the brain and increase dopamine levels.
Common side effects of levodopa + carbidopa
Nausea, Vomiting, Dryness in mouth, Constipation, Dizziness, Sleepiness, Headache, Abnormal dreams, Anxiety, Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping), Abnormality of voluntary movements, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
Available Medicine for Levodopa + Carbidopa
- ₹16 to ₹45Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹42Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹31Wockhardt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31Wallace Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Chandra Bhagat Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Levodopa + Carbidopa
- You have been prescribed Levodopa + Carbidopa to treat your symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
- It can be taken with or without food or as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce/avoid a high-protein diet (e.g. meat, poultry, and dairy products) while you are taking the medicine as it can reduce the amount of medication absorbed by your body.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Levodopa + Carbidopa can make you very sleepy.
- When you start the medication, get out of bed slowly, as the medication may cause dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting.
- Do not stop taking the medication without talking to your doctor. It may result in a serious syndrome that causes fever, stiff muscles, unusual body movements, sweating, and confusion.
- Talk to your doctor in case you develop hallucinations or other changes in your behavior.
Frequently asked questions for Levodopa + Carbidopa
Levodopa + Carbidopa
Q. What is Levodopa+Carbidopa?
Levodopa+Carbidopa is a combination of two medicines: Levodopa and Carbidopa. This medication is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease like tremors (shaking), stiffness and slowness of movement. These symptoms are caused due to the lack of dopamine, a natural substance usually found in the brain. Levodopa works by being converted to dopamine in the brain. Carbidopa works by preventing levodopa from being broken down before it reaches the brain. By increasing the amount of dopamine in the brain, Levodopa+Carbidopa helps control the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease and helps you to perform daily activities such as dressing, walking, handling utensils, etc.
Q. Can I stop taking Levodopa+Carbidopa when my symptoms are relieved?
No, you should continue to take Levodopa+Carbidopa, even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Levodopa+Carbidopa without talking to your doctor. If you suddenly stop taking Levodopa+Carbidopa, you could develop a serious problem causing fever, rigid muscles, unusual body movements and confusion. Consult your doctor if the symptoms are relieved, he might decrease your dose gradually.
Q. Can the Levodopa+Carbidopa cause sleepiness or drowsiness?
Levodopa+Carbidopa may make you drowsy or may cause you to suddenly fall asleep during your daily activities. You might not feel drowsy or notice any other warning signs before suddenly falling asleep. Avoid driving a car, operating machinery, working at heights or participating in potentially dangerous activities at the beginning of your treatment until you know how the medication affects you. If you suddenly fall asleep while doing something such as watching television, talking, eating, or riding in a car, or if you become very drowsy, especially during the daytime, call your doctor.
Q. Can the Levodopa+Carbidopa cause dark urine?
Yes, the consumption Levodopa+Carbidopa may alter the colour of your saliva, urine or sweat and make it dark colored (red, brown or black). This is harmless but your clothing may become stained.
Q. What are the instructions for storage and disposal of Levodopa+Carbidopa?
Keep this medicine in the container or the pack it came in, tightly closed. Store it according to the instructions mentioned on the pack or label. Dispose of the unused medicine. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children and other people.
Q. How long does Levodopa+Carbidopa take to cure Parkinson’s disease?
Levodopa+Carbidopa controls Parkinson's disease but does not cure it. It may take several months before you feel the full benefit of Levodopa+Carbidopa.
Q. Can I take a higher than the recommended dose of this medication?
No, taking a higher than the recommended dose of Levodopa+Carbidopa can lead to increased chances of side effects and toxicity. Talk to your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after a few weeks of treatment. Also let your doctor know if the effects of this medication seem to wear off quickly in between doses.