Information about Levocetirizine
Levocetirizine is used in the treatment of allergic conditions.
How levocetirizine works
Levocetirizine is an antihistaminic medication. It treats allergy symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes by blocking the effects of a chemical messenger (histamine) in the body.
Common side effects of levocetirizine
Sleepiness, Fatigue, Dryness in mouth, Headache
Available Medicine for Levocetirizine
- ₹73 to ₹209Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹112 to ₹226Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹26 to ₹77FDC Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹14 to ₹53Systopic Laboratories Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹25 to ₹105Hetero Healthcare Limited4 variant(s)
- ₹43 to ₹210Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹63Hegde and Hegde Pharmaceutical LLP1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹36Mankind Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹53 to ₹118Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹76Rapross Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
Expert advice for Levocetirizine
- Your doctor has prescribed Levocetirizine to help relieve allergy symptoms such as itching, swelling, and rashes.
- As compared to other similar medications, it is much less likely to make you feel sleepy.
- Be cautious while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as it can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medication as it may cause increased sleepiness.
- Stop taking Levocetirizine at least three days before taking an allergy test as it can affect the test results.
Frequently asked questions for Levocetirizine
Q. Is Levocetirizine a steroid? What is it used for?
Levocetirizine is an anti-allergic medication, not a steroid. It relieves the symptoms of allergy. It is used to relieve runny nose, sneezing and redness, itching and watering of the eyes caused by hay fever or seasonal allergies. It also relieves similar symptoms caused due to allergies to substances, such as dust mites, animal dander and mold. It is also used to treat symptoms of hives, including itching and rash.
Q. Does Levocetirizine make you tired and drowsy?
Yes, Levocetirizine can make you feel tired, sleepy and weak. If you have these symptoms, you should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
Q. How long does it take for Levocetirizine to work?
You will notice an improvement within an hour of taking Levocetirizine. However, it may take a little longer to notice the full benefits.
Q. Can I take Levocetirizine and fexofenadine together?
Sometimes the doctor may advise you to take two different antihistamines together if you are being treated for a severe itchy rash. If you are taking Levocetirizine during daytime, your doctor may prescribe another antihistamine for the night which causes sleepiness, especially if the itch makes it difficult for you to sleep. Do not take two antihistamines together unless recommended by your doctor.
Q. Is it safe to take Levocetirizine daily for a long time?
Levocetirizine is safe if used as prescribed by your doctor. Moreover, it is unlikely to harm you if you take it for a long time. But, it is best to take Levocetirizine for only as long as you need it.
Q. For how long should I continue Levocetirizine?
The duration for which the medicine needs to be taken depends on the problem being treated. If you are taking it for an insect bite, you may need it for a day or two. Similarly, if you are taking it to prevent symptoms of chronic allergic rhinitis (inflammation of nose) or chronic urticaria, you may need to take Levocetirizine for a longer time. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure about the duration of using Levocetirizine.<br>