Lecithin is used in nutritional deficiencies
How it works
Lecithin or phosphatidylcholine is a type of lipid (phospholipid) naturally found in the body and plays important roles in maintenance of cell membrane (outer protective covering of cells) which is essential for several biological processes. As a health supplement, lecithin is known to lower blood levels of cholesterol by aiding its removal; protect the liver from toxins and infections (hepatoprotective) and protect the nervous stem by nourishing the cell membrane.
Common side effects
Nausea, Abdominal bloating, Stomach pain
- ₹143Abbott India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹116Panjon Pharma Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹98Colinz Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹74 to ₹78Elder Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹38Curewin Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- Do consult your doctor before taking lecithin, if you have malabsorption (poor absorption of nutrients across the digestive tract into blood circulation) problems. You may develop loose motions (diarrhea) or excess fats in feces (steatorrhea).
- Use of lecithin in children should strictly be under medical supervision.
- Lecithin supplements are usually meant to be taken three times daily with meals.
- Do consult your doctor before using lecithin, if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is lecithin vegetarian/vegan/halal/gluten free?
Please refer to package insert of the prescribed brand regarding source and other additives before use
Q. Is lecithin safe/bad for you?
Lecithin is a type of lipid or fat (phospholipid) that offers several health benefits. In the form of a supplement it is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is lecithin a protein?
No. Lecithin is a type of lipid or fat (phospholipid) that offers several health benefits
Q. Is lecithin soy?
Soy or soybean is a major source of lecithin
Q. Can I take lecithin with fish oil/ thyroxin/ antibiotics/ statins/ blood pressure tablets/ simvastatin?
Yes.There are no known major interactions of lecithin with fish oil, thyroxin, commonly used antibiotics or blood pressure medicines and statins including simvastatin
Q. Does lecithin help lose weight?
It may be beneficial in reducing body weight. Lecithin is usually used as a part of a regimen that includes diet, exercise and other medications
Q. Reduce cholesterol?
Lecithin is used to aid treatment of lowering blood cholesterol
Q. Does lecithin lower blood pressure/thin blood/burn fat/decrease milk supply?
Lecithin has no known effect on lowering blood pressure or changing the fluidity of blood. It does not ‘burn fat' (increase metabolism that helps lower fat).It reduces fat through a different mechanism. Lecithin has no known effect on production or release of breast milk
Q. Does lecithin cause gas/ acne?
No.Causing gas and acne are not among the possible side effects of lecithin
Q. Does lecithin help with memory?
Lecithin has shown positive effects on memory in patients with Alzheimer's disease or dementia.