Information about Lamivudine
How lamivudine works
Lamivudine prevents the multiplication of HIV virus in human cells. Thus stops the HIV virus from producing new viruses.
Common side effects of lamivudine
Fatigue, Headache, Nausea, Vomiting, Abdominal pain, Dizziness, Ear infection, Nasal infection, Throat infection, Sore throat, Skin rash, Muscle pain, Fever, Chills, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Lamivudine
- ₹111 to ₹119Cipla Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹80 to ₹91Hetero Drugs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹565Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹598Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹600Mylan Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹1350Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹538Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹11 to ₹92Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Lamivudine
- Consult your doctor if you have diabetes and are using insulin.
- Patients receiving this therapy are always at a risk for infections and hence should report any such cases to the doctor.
- Consult your doctor if you take any prescription medication; Inform your doctor if you take other medicine for treatment of HIV or hepatitis B infection, hairy cell leukemia [a type of blood cancer], or antibiotics for infection.
- Lamivudine may rarely cause a serious side effect like lactic acidosis with symptoms such as pain or weakness of muscle, numbness or feeling cold in arms or legs, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, lack of breath, aberrant heart rate, dizziness, weak or tired feeling; hence, inform the doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- It is possible to pass on HIV when on this medication and hence it is important to take necessary precautions to prevent HIV from spreading.
- Inform you doctor if you notice signs of change in the distribution of fat (lipodystrophy), erosion of bones (osteronecrosis), or inflammation of pancreas (pancreatitis).
- If you are on therapy it is important to use effective non hormonal method of contraception or condom so that a pregnancy can be avoided.
- Use with caution in pediatric patients with a history of pancreatitis or other significant risk factors for pancreatitis.
Frequently asked questions for Lamivudine
Q. Can lamivudine cure hepatitis B?
Lamivudine is used to treat hepatitis B but some patients may be resistant to this dru
Q. Can Lamivudine be crushed?
Lamivudine cannot be crushed but it can be broken into two parts to give it to children. Please go by the recommendation of the doctor
Q. Can Lamivudine cause anemia?
Lamivudine may cause anemia as a side effect in some patients. Kindly consult your doctor in case any side effects are observed.