Information about Lafutidine
Lafutidine is used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (acid reflux) and peptic ulcer disease.
How lafutidine works
Lafutidine is a H2 blocker (antacid). It works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach which helps in relief of acid related indigestion and heartburn.
Common side effects of lafutidine
Fatigue, Drowsiness, Headache, Increased liver enzymes, Constipation, Increased uric acid level in blood, Diarrhea, Muscle pain, Protein in urine
Available Medicine for Lafutidine
- ₹103Zuventus Healthcare Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹87Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹48Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹82Ikon Remedies Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹47Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹57Rapross Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹58Alkem Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76J B Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹83Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Lafutidine
- Lafutidine is a well tolerated and safe medicine with a very low incidence of side effects.
- Take it with or without food.
- Take Lafutidine before going to bed if you are taking this medicine once a day as it is very effective in controlling stomach acid released in the midnight.
- If you are also taking an antacid, take it two hours before or after taking Lafutidine.
- Avoid taking soft drinks, citrus fruits like orange and lemon, which can irritate the stomach and increase acid secretion.
- Inform your doctor if you do not feel better after taking Lafutidine for two weeks or 14 days as you may be suffering from some other problems.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney disease. Dose of your medicine may need to be adjusted.
- Do not stop taking medication without talking to your doctor.
Frequently asked questions for Lafutidine
Q. Can I take Lafutidine empty stomach?
Lafutidine may be taken with or without food. It can be taken once daily before bedtime or twice daily in the morning and before bedtime, as recommended.
Q. How long does it take for Lafutidine to start working?
After taking Lafutidine orally, the effect occurs within one hour. The maximum effect is generally reached within one to three hours of taking it. However, it depends upon the dose. The action of the medicine lasts for about 10 to 12 hours.
Q. What is the difference between Lafutidine and omeprazole?
Lafutidine and Omeprazole belong to different group of medicines. While Lafutidine belongs to histamine H2 antagonists group, Omeprazole belongs to proton pump inhibitors group. These medicines (Lafutidine and Omeprazole) work by reducing the amount of acid made by the stomach, to give relief of symptoms and allow healing to take place.
Q. Can I take alcohol with Lafutidine?
Alcohol does not interfere with the working of Lafutidine. But, you should avoid taking alcohol as it will further damage the stomach, delaying your recovery.
Q. What are the serious side effects of Lafutidine?
Lafutidine may have some serious side effects, but these are rare. These side effects may include hives, skin rash, itching, hoarseness and difficulty in breathing or swallowing. Another serious symptom may be swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs. Inform your doctor in case you notice any of the mentioned symptoms.
Q. What are the dos and don’ts while taking Lafutidine?
Avoid taking aspirin and other painkillers used to treat arthritis, period pain or headache. These medicines may irritate the stomach and make your condition worse. Contact your doctor who may suggest other medicines. Avoid coffee, tea, cocoa and cola drinks because these contain ingredients that may irritate your stomach. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Eat slowly and chew your food carefully. Try not to rush at meal times. You should stop or cut down on smoking.
Q. Is Lafutidine safe for long-term use?
There is limited data available on whether Lafutidine can be used for a long term or not, but it is a relatively safe medicine. You should take it for the duration advised by your doctor. Do not take over-the-counter Lafutidine for longer than 2 weeks unless advised by your doctor.