Information about Ketoconazole
Ketoconazole is used in the treatment of fungal infections.
How ketoconazole works
Ketoconazole stops the growth of fungus by preventing them from making their protective covering.
Common side effects of ketoconazole
Nausea, Abdominal pain, Skin rash, Increased liver enzymes
Available Medicine for Ketoconazole
- ₹240Ipca Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹150Tripada Biotec Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹155Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹199Makers Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹9Athens Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹70Parenteral Drugs India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹135Excare Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹109Admit Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹165Blubell Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹260Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Ketoconazole
If you are taking an antacid take it 1 hour before or 2 hours after taking ketoconazole.
Limit alcohol intake. Consuming alcohol while taking ketoconazole increases the risk of liver damage.
Do not continue ketoconazole and consult your doctor:
- If you experience allergic reaction, swelling of the face, lips, mouth, tongue or throat which may cause difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
- If you experience severe irritation or reddening of the skin where ketoconazole is applied or other signs of allergy during the first few days of treatment.
- If you experience peeling or blistering of the skin.
- Dandruff shampoo may be irritating to eyes and contact with this area should be avoided.
- Consult your doctor if your symptoms have not been relieved within one week of taking ketoconazole.
Frequently asked questions for Ketoconazole
Q. Is Ketoconazole/Ketoconazole shampoo safe?
Yes, all medicines (products) containing Ketoconazole are safe at the recommended doses or when used at recommended frequency
Q. Is Ketoconazole/ Ketoconazole cream an antibiotic?
No, Ketoconazole is not an antibiotic as it does not kill bacteria. It belongs to triazole class of antifungal agents
Q. Is ketoconazole/ ketoconazole OTC?
No, ketoconazole products are under schedule H and are available on producing a prescription from your doctor
Q. What is Ketoconazole/Ketoconazole cream/Phytoral ointment used for?
Ketoconazole containing products such as creams and Phytoral ointments are used to treat fungal infections of the skin such as tinea corporis (ring worm), tinea cruris (fungal infections of the groin or buttocks), tinea pedis (fungal infection of the foot [athlete's foot]), tinea manus (fungal infection of the hand)
Q. Can I take ketoconazole with amoxicillin, ibuprofen, Tylenol (paracetamo), omeprazole, Benadryl (cough preparation)?
There are no known serious drug interactions between ketoconazole and drugs such as ibuprofen, Tylenol (paracetamol), Benadryl (cough preparation). It may interact with amoxicillin and omeprazole, where the absorption of ketoconazole may be reduced. Consult your doctor about all medications currently taken before starting and while on ketoconazole
Q. Can Ketoconazole cause hair loss?
Yes, Ketoconazole may rarely cause some hair loss
Q. Can Ketoconazole prevent hair loss?
No, Ketoconazole does not prevent hair loss. In fact, it may rarely cause hair loss
Q. Can Ketoconazole cause dry skin?
Yes, dry skin at the site of application is a common side effect of Ketoconazole
Q. Can Ketoconazole be used for conditions such as ring worms and psoriasis?
Yes, Ketoconazole is commonly used to treat fungal infections of skin such as ring worms. Psoriasis is not a fungal skin infection and use of Ketoconazole is not warranted to treat this condition
Q. Is Ketoconazole/ Ketoconazole cream a steroid?
No, Ketoconazole is not a steroid. It belongs to triazole class of antifungal agents
Q. Can I Ketoconazole at bedtime?
Ketoconazole can be taken at any time during the day
Q. Can Ketoconazole be taken for yeast infections?
Yes, Ketoconazole is prescribed for yeast infection. Patients should follow advice of the doctor regarding its use
Q. Does ketoconazole block Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)?
Ketoconazole has the ability to block the synthesis of all steroids produced by the adrenal gland, including the male sex hormone dihydrotestosterone. Testosterone synthesis from the testes is also blocked
Q. Does Ketoconazole expire?
Yes, medicines containing Ketoconazole have an expiry date. Read the information given on the package for accurate expiry date.