Information about Iron Dextran
Iron dextran uses
Iron Dextran is used in the treatment of iron deficiency anemia and anemia due to chronic kidney disease.
How iron dextran works
Iron Dextran is an anti-anemic medication. It replenishes the iron stores in your body. Iron is vital for the formation of new red blood cells and hemoglobin, a substance that gives these cells the ability to transport oxygen.
Common side effects of iron dextran
Nausea, Epigastric pain, Constipation, Abdominal cramp, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Iron DextranNo medicine available
Expert advice for Iron Dextran
- Consult your doctor if you have liver, heart, kidney diseases or undergoing dialysis, bleeding or blood clotting disorder such as hemophilia or stomach bleeding or asthma or allergies, rheumatoid arthritis or any infections.
- Do not use iron dextran in children < 4 months old.
- You will be regularly monitored for lab tests, such as hemoglobin, hematocrit, blood iron levels, total iron binding capacity (TIBC) levels, or percent saturation of transferrin levels, while you use iron dextran.
- Do not drive or use any machinery after taking iron dextran as it may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to iron dextran or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if having anaemia not associated with iron deficiency.
Frequently asked questions for Iron Dextran
Q. Is iron dextran a vesicant?
Yes, Iron dextran is a vesicant
Q. Is Iron dextran administered as intramuscular injection?
Yes, it can be used as intramuscular injection
Q. What is iron dextran used for?
Iron dextran is used to treat iron mineral deficiency and iron deficiency anemia.