Insulin Lispro protamine
Insulin lispro protamine, an intermediate-acting form of the insulin hormone, is used in combination with insulin lispro, a fast-acting form, for the treatment of diabetes.
How it works
Insulin lispro protamine belongs to a class of medications called as insulins. It works by lowering the glucose level in the blood, thereby controlling diabetes.
Common side effects
Flushing, Gastrointestinal disturbance, Decreased white blood cell count
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Always take insulin lispro protamine within 15 minutes before meal initiation.
- Tell your doctor if you have heart disease, kidney or, liver disease, nerve problems adrenal, pituitary or thyroid problems or diabetic ketoacidosis (a life-threatening condition that develops when cells in the body are unable to get the sugar they need for energy because there is not enough insulin)
- Inform your doctor if you use 3 or more insulin injections per day.
- Tell your doctor if you notice an unusual change in your insulin needs, if you are fasting, have high blood sodium levels, or are on a low-salt (sodium) diet. Ensure that you do not take too much insulin, skip a meal, or exercise too much as this may lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels with symptoms such as shakiness, nervousness or anxiety, sweating, chills and clamminess, irritability, confusion, nausea etc).
- Exercise caution to prevent from developing a fever or infection, do not eat more than prescribed, or miss your dose of insulin as this may cause hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels with symptoms such as confusion, drowsiness, or feeling thirsty, flushing etc).
- You will be regularly monitored for blood glucose levels or hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) while taking insulin lispro protamine.
- Do not drive or use any machinery after taking insulin lispro protamine as it may cause dizziness.
- Do not consume alcohol when on treatment with insulin lispro protamine, as it may worsen its side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to insulin lispro protamine or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if having an episode of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).