Information about Insulin Lispro
Insulin lispro uses
How insulin lispro works
Insulin lispro is a fast-acting insulin, starts working within 10-20 minutes after injection. It works similar to insulin produced by the body. Insulin facilitates reuptake of glucose in muscle and fat cell and also block the release of glucose from the liver.
Common side effects of insulin lispro
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), Injection site allergic reaction
Available Medicine for Insulin Lispro
- ₹704 to ₹2805Eli Lilly and Company India Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹561 to ₹704Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Insulin Lispro
- Avoid consuming alcohol as it may increase the chance of severe low blood sugar.
- Notify your doctor if you have any signs of troubled-breathing or rashes (severe and life-threatening allergy).
- Type 2 diabetes can be controlled with a proper diet alone or a diet along with exercise. Planned diet and exercising are always important when you have diabetes, even when you are taking antidiabetic medicines.
- Low blood sugar is life-threatening. Low blood sugar may occur due to:
- Delay or missing a scheduled meal or snacks.
- Exercising more than usual.
- Drinking a significant amount of alcohol.
- Using too much insulin.
- Sickness (vomiting or diarrhea).
- The main symptoms (alarming signs) of low blood sugar are fast heartbeat, sweating, cool pale skin, feeling shaky, confusion or irritability, headache, nausea, and nightmares. Make sure that you have access to quick-acting sugar sources that treat low blood sugar. Consuming some form of quick-acting sugars immediately after the appearance of the symptoms will prevent the low blood sugar levels from worsening.
Frequently asked questions for Insulin Lispro
Q. Does Insulin Lispro come in a pen?
Yes, Insulin Lispro is available in a pen style formulation
Q. Is Insulin Lispro/humalog short acting?
Yes Insulin Lispro is a rapid and short-acting, artificially prepared form of human insulin
Q. How does Insulin Lispro work?
Insulin Lispro is a rapid and short-acting, artificially prepared form of human insulin. Insulin Lispro acts by replacing the normal production of insulin and by helping transfer sugar from the blood into other body tissues where it is utilized to generate energy. It also stops the liver from producing more sugar. After the injection of Insulin Lispro into the subcutaneous tissue (upper layer of skin) it has a rapid onset of action (approximately 15 minutes), thus making it possible to be taken closer to a meal (within zero to 15 minutes of the meal). Insulin Lispro takes effect rapidly and has a shorter duration of activity (2 to 5 hours) when compared to soluble insulin
Q. Does Insulin Lispro expire?
Yes, Insulin Lispro has an expiry date. Please read the date printed on the package for the expiry date
Q. Does Insulin Lispro need to be refrigerated?
Unopened cartridges and unused pre-filled pens of Insulin Lispro must be stored in a refrigerator where the temperature is between 2-8°C. When the cartridge has been inserted into the injection pen, it should not be put in the refrigerator and should be kept at room temperature
Q. Does Insulin Lispro cause weight gain?
There are no known effects of Insulin Lispro on weight gain
Q. What is insulin lispro/ insulin lispro protamine?
Insulin lispro is used to reduce high blood sugar (glucose) levels in people with diabetes mellitus. Insulin lispro is used to treat type 1 diabetes (condition in which the body does not produce insulin) and type 2 diabetes (condition in which the body does not use insulin normally)
Q. Can Insulin Lispro/ Humalog given IV?
Yes, If necessary, Humalog may be administered intravenously, for example, for the control of blood glucose levels during ketoacidosis, acute illnesses, or during intraoperative and postoperative periods
Q. Can Insulin Lispro be mixed with other insulin preparations/insulin NPH?
Insulin Lispro solution must not be mixed with any other insulin preparation. Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the dosage, frequency, duration, or use of any concomitant medications
Q. Where does Insulin Lispro come from?
Insulin Lispro is artificially prepared form of human insulin
Q. Is Insulin Lispro cloudy?
Insulin Lispro solutions should be clear. Do not use if Insulin Lispro preparations is no longer clear and colorless or if it contains particles.