Information about Insulin detemir
Insulin detemir uses
How insulin detemir works
Insulin detemir is a long-acting insulin, keeps working for 24 hours after injection. It works similar to insulin produced by the body. Insulin facilitates reuptake of glucose in muscle and fat cell and also block the release of glucose from the liver.
Common side effects of insulin detemir
Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar level), Injection site allergic reaction.
Available Medicine for Insulin detemir
- ₹1090Novo Nordisk India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Insulin detemir
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of heart problems (e.g, heart failure), kidney or liver problems, nerve problems adrenal, pituitary, or thyroid problems; or diabetic ketoacidosis (a life-threatening condition that develops when cells in the body are unable to get the sugar they need for energy because there is not enough insulin).
- Ensure that you do not take too much insulin, skip a meal, or exercise too much as this may lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels with symptoms such as shakiness, nervousness or anxiety, sweating, chills and clamminess, irritability, confusion, nausea etc).
- Exercise caution to prevent from developing a fever or infection, do not eat more than prescribed, or miss your dose of insulin as this may cause hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels with symptoms such as confusion, drowsiness, or feeling thirsty, flushing etc).
- You will be regularly monitored for blood glucose levels or hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) while taking insulin detemir.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take insulin detemir cartridges before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care or surgery.
- Inform your doctor if you use 3 or more insulin injections per day.
- Do not drive or use any machinery after taking insulin detemir as it may cause dizziness, light-headedness, or blurred vision.
- Do not consume alcohol when on treatment with insulin detemir, as it may worsen its side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to insulin detemir or any of its ingredients.
- Do not take if suffering from episodes of low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia).