Information about Indomethacin
Indomethacin is used in pain relief. It relieves pain and inflammation in conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis, gout, muscle pain and painful periods.
How indomethacin works
Indomethacin is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by suppressing the production of chemical messengers (prostaglandins) that cause inflammation (redness and swelling), fever and pain.
Common side effects of indomethacin
Abdominal pain, Constipation, Epigastric pain, Diarrhoea, Flatulence, Nausea, Vomiting, Indigestion
Available Medicine for Indomethacin
- ₹47 to ₹110Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹102Micro Labs Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹36 to ₹86Ipca Laboratories Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹35 to ₹80Sterkem Pharma Pvt Ltd6 variant(s)
- ₹33 to ₹109Tas Med India Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹109Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹109Octane Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹72Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹111Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22 to ₹34Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Indomethacin
- It should be taken with food or milk to avoid getting an upset stomach.
- It can cause serious complications like stomach bleeding and kidney problems if taken for a long time.
- Indomethacin can raise a risk of blood clots, heart attack, or a stroke.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive or breastfeeding.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
Frequently asked questions for Indomethacin
Q. Is indomethacin an antibiotic/steroid/ OTC drug/ addictive/ a blood thinner/ contain sulfa/ contain aspirin?
No, indomethacin is not an antibiotic nor a steroid. It does not contain sulfur or aspirin. It is not an OTC drug. It is not a blood thinner, but it may enhance the effect of anticoagulants (blood thinners). It can be an addictive drug for some people, and this is why you should ensure regularly check up with your doctor
Q. Is Indomethacin is good for gout/ back pain/tooth pain/ headache?
Indomethacin is primarily used to treat chronic inflammatory disorder that typically affects the joints in your hands and feet. It can be used for gout and back pain. It is not choice of drug for tooth pain and headach
Q. Is Indomethacin safe?
Indomethacin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is indomethacin stronger than ibuprofen/ naproxen?
Indomethacin and ibuprofen/ naproxen belong to same category of drugs and are equally effective and safe. Always follow doctor's advice regarding its use
Q. What is Indocap SR/ is it a pain killer?
Indocap SR is a brand name for indomethacin. It is a pain killer
Q. Can I take naproxen/ Colcrys or colchicine/ Aleve/ paracetamol/ Tylenol/ Tramadol/ Allopurinol /Advil/ ibuprofen/ Vicodin/ hydrocodone/ Percocet/ Coudamin/ aspirin/ percocet+B5879?
Yes, you can take indomethacin with Colcrys or colchicine/ Aleve/ paracetamol/ Tylenol/Tramadol/ Allopurinol / Percocet/ Hydrocodone. You should avoid taking indomethacin with naproxen, ibuprofen or Advil, Coudamin, aspirin, because these drugs interact with indomethaci
Q. Does Indomethacin raise blood pressure/ reduce uric acid levels/ make you sleepy or dizzy/ cause weight gain/ hair loss/ affect birth control?
Indomethacin doesn't affect birth control, if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor. It may cause common side effects such as dizziness, uncommon like high blood pressure, drowsiness (feeling sleepy) and rare side effects like hair loss, weight gain, reduce uric acid level. Please contact your doctor for advice if you experience them.