Information about Hydrocortisone
Hydrocortisone is used in the treatment of severe allergic reactions, allergy symptoms, cancer, skin disorders and eye disorders.
How hydrocortisone works
Hydrocortisone belongs to a group of medicines called corticosteroids. It prevents and treats the allergic and inflammatory reactions by decreasing the number of blood cells that cause inflammation and allergy..
Common side effects of hydrocortisone
Electrolyte imbalance, Redistribution/accumulation of body fat, Increased risk of infection, Bone degradation, Skin scar, Behavioural changes, Altered bone growth, Increased blood pressure, Muscle disorders, Increased glucose level in blood, Cataract
Available Medicine for Hydrocortisone
- ₹37 to ₹143Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹28 to ₹145Samarth Life Sciences Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹37Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹36Neon Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹37Troikaa Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹197Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹67Wanbury Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41Hetero Drugs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹37Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹37United Biotech Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Hydrocortisone
- Take with food to avoid an upset stomach.
- Dose is decreased or tapered over time.
- Most side effects occur with high doses and on long-term use.
- Your risk of getting an infection may become higher. Tell your doctor immediately if you have a fever, flu-like symptoms, cough, painful urination, or a wound that does not heal.
Frequently asked questions for Hydrocortisone
Q. Is hydrocortisone safe?
Hydrocortisone belongs to a class of medications called corticosteroids. Hydrocortisone is safe when used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is hydrocortisone same as cortisone, cort stim, cort s?
Cort s is proprietary (brand) name of hydrocortisone injection. Cortisone is other name of hydrocortisone. Cort stim is contracted (short) form for cortisol stimulation test
Q. Is hydrocortisone good for ringworm, cold sores, haemorrhoids, scars or burns?
No. Hydrocortisone is contraindicated in any condition where the skin is infected or inflamed
Q. Does hydrocortisone help in eczema, acne, hives, dry skin and thrush?
Hydrocortisone relieves the itching associated with eczema and local swelling and itching associated with hives. It should not be used in acne, dry skin and thrush
Q. Can I take ibuprofen, Tylenol or Benadryl with hydrocortisone?
NSAIDs like ibuprofen, Tylenol (acetaminophen), Benadryl (paracetamol, diphenhydramine, and phenylephrine) should not be taken if hydrocortisone is being taken orally. There is however little chance of interaction between hydrocortisone for local application and other drugs which are taken orally. Always follow the advice of the doctor regarding use of hydrocortisone ointment/cream and other medications.