Histamine is a solution for skin prick testing. Histamine Positive and negative control are for
diagnostic use only. They are used as a reference with other skin prick tests to determine which substances cause allergic reaction.
How it works
The histamine dihydrochloride in the positive control produces a hard raised wheal, which may be surrounded by a red area indicating a positive response. This response is compared with the responses from substances that may cause allergy. Negative Control usually does not cause any reaction, and is used to ensure that positive responses are not caused by the prick of the lancet.
Common side effects
Injection site pain, Itching, Skin redness, Urticaria
AVAILABLE MEDICINENo medicine available
- Skin-prick testing should be performed by experienced personnel only.
- Inform your doctor if you suffer from active eczema or other skin diseases in the area of the skin used for testing, as these conditions may influence the interpretation of the test outcome.
- If you have undergone, axillary lymph node dissection, it is preferable to perform the skin tests on the opposite arm.
- In extremely rare cases, you may suffer from an anaphylactic reaction after skin-prick testing with active allergen.
- Exercise caution if you have a history of asthma, as attacks of severe asthma or other serious allergic conditions may be precipitated by the administration of histamine.
- Inform your doctor before skin prick test is carried out if you are taking Short/Long acting antihistamines.
Frequently asked questions
Q. Is histamine a Hormone/Protein/ Vasodilator/ cytokine/ neurotransmitter/ agonist/ amino acid/ inhibitory or excitatory/ an enzyme/ a monoamine?
Histamine is a monoamine and not a hormone, protein, enzyme or amino acid. Histamine is an excitatory vasodilator and not a cytokine or neurotransmitter or inhibitory agonist.
Q. Can I take histamine for a cold/ heat rash/ hives/ mosquito bites/ bug bites?
Always follow the instructions of doctor regarding the use of histamine.
Q. Can I take Histamine with amoxicillin /prednisolone/ ibuprofen/ antibiotics/ amoxicillin / citalopram / paracetamol /singulair /warfarin / sertraline?
Histamine may interact with these medications. Kindly follow doctors instructions.
Q. Does Histamine cause blood pressure/ fever/ pain/ weight gain/constipation/ drowsiness / edema / vasodilation or vasoconstriction/ bronchodilation?
Histamine may cause these side effects. Call your doctor if you experience any unusual problems during your treatment.