Information about Griseofulvin
Griseofulvin is used in the treatment of fungal infections.
How griseofulvin works
Griseofulvin is an antifungal medication. It stops the growth of fungi by preventing fungal cell division.
Common side effects of griseofulvin
Headache, Skin rash, Nausea, Diarrhea, Dizziness
Available Medicine for Griseofulvin
- ₹16 to ₹41Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹105Brinton Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Seagull Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Medo Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹14Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹37Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹29Bombay Tablet Mfg Co Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹12 to ₹19Comed Chemicals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹19NuLife Pharmaceuticals1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Griseofulvin
- Griseofulvin is used to treat fungal infections of the skin, nails, scalp or hair, when other medicines have failed to clear up the infection or are not appropriate.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- Take it with food to help your body absorb the medicine.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Griseofulvin may cause dizziness.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Griseofulvin as it may cause excessive drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and headaches.
- It can make you more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen and protective clothing when outdoors.
- It can make birth control pills less effective. Use an additional method of contraception while taking Griseofulvin.
- Do not take Griseofulvin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Griseofulvin
Q. Is Griseofulvin safe?
Griseofulvin is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is Griseofulvin over the counter?
No,Griseofulvin is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Is Griseofulvin an antibiotic/steroid/fungicidal?
Griseofulvin is fungicidal and not an antibiotic/steroid
Q. Is griseofulvin a sulfa drug/contain sulfa (sulphur)/penicillin?
No,griseofulvin is not a sulfa drug. Neither it contain sulfa nor penicillin
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with griseofulvin?
Yes,but taking other medicines may alter the effects of griseofulvin. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does Griseofulvin treat candida/ringworm?
Griseofulvin is used to treat ringworm. However it is ineffective to treat candida
Q. Does Griseofulvin need to be refrigerated?
No,Griseofulvin does not require refrigeration.Store it at room temperature away from heat
Q. Does Griseofulvin cause hair loss?
No,Griseofulvin does not cause hair loss.However consult your doctor if you experience such side effect.