Information about Griseofulvin
Griseofulvin is used in the treatment of fungal infections and nail infections.
How griseofulvin works
Griseofulvin stops the growth of fungus by preventing them from making their protective covering.
Common side effects of griseofulvin
Nausea, Numbness, Pain, Increased sensitivity to light, Muscle pain, Joint pain, Bruise, Bleeding, Blisters on skin, Burning sensation, Chest pain, Chills, Clay colored stool, Cloudy urine, Cough, Dark colored urine, Diarrhoea, Dizziness, Shortness of breath, Eye irritation, Facial urticaria, Fatigue, Weakness, Fever, Headache, Itching, Loose skin, Loss of appetite, Rash, Skin peeling, Skin redness, Sore throat, Mouth irritation, Tongue irritation, Soreness, Sores, Swelling of glands, Tarry stools, Pricking sensation, Tingling sensation, Ulcer, Unpleasant breath odour, Urticaria, Vomiting of blood, Difficulty in urination, White spots in the mouth, White spots on the lips, Abdominal pain, Yellow discoloration of skin, Yellow discoloration of eye
Available Medicine for Griseofulvin
- ₹15 to ₹17Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹15Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹19Adcock Ingram Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹14Inga Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹120Seagull Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹96Brinton Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹35Medo Pharma1 variant(s)
- ₹16 to ₹37Glaxo SmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹23 to ₹29Bombay Tablet Mfg Co Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹11Euphoric Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Griseofulvin
- Do not take griseofulvin, if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to griseofulvin, penicillin or any of the other ingredients.
- Do not take griseofulvin, if you have porphyria (a rare blood pigment disorder that affects skin and other organs); systemic lupus erythematous (SLE; autoimmune disease, in which the body's own immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue, especially skin, joints, kidneys, brain, and other organs).
- Avoid using griseofulvin, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking griseofulvin because you may feel drowsy.
- Avoid exposure to sunlight or artificial light.
- Do not consume alcohol while taking griseofulvin.
Frequently asked questions for Griseofulvin
Q. Is griseofulvin safe?
Griseofulvin is safe if used at prescribed dose and duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Is griseofulvin over the counter?
No,griseofulvin is available with doctor's prescription only
Q. Is griseofulvin an antibiotic/steroid/fungicidal?
Griseofulvin is fungicidal and not an antibiotic/steroid
Q. Is griseofulvin a sulfa drug/contain sulfa (sulphur)/penicillin?
No,griseofulvin is not a sulfa drug. Neither it contain sulfa nor penicillin
Q. Can I take ibuprofen with griseofulvin?
Yes,but taking other medicines may alter the effects of griseofulvin. Always consult your doctor for the change of dose regimen or an alternative drug of choice that may strictly be required
Q. Does griseofulvin treat candida/ringworm?
Griseofulvin is used to treat ringworm. However it is ineffective to treat candida
Q. Does griseofulvin need to be refrigerated?
No,griseofulvin does not require refrigeration.Store it at room temperature away from heat
Q. Does griseofulvin cause hair loss?
No,griseofulvin does not cause hair loss.However consult your doctor if you experience such side effect.