Information about Gentamicin
Gentamicin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How gentamicin works
Gentamicin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by inhibiting synthesis of essential proteins, required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of gentamicin
Nausea, Vomiting, Skin rash, Diarrhoea, Hearing loss, Balance disorder (loss of balance)
Available Medicine for Gentamicin
- ₹3 to ₹5Biochem Pharmaceutical Industries2 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹38Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹17Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹10Torque Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹8Fulford India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹20Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹22Jagsonpal Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7 to ₹18Zydus Cadila2 variant(s)
- ₹8Euphoric Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gentamicin
It is given as a drip (intravenous infusion), as an injection directly into a vein or into a muscle; or as an ear or eye drops. Do not drive immediately after using gentamicin eyedrops because gentamicin in the eye may cause temporary blurring of vision. Gentamicin should be used with caution in premature babies because of their kidney immaturity, and in elderly people. Gentamicin may cause damage to the kidneys and/or nerves. Consult your doctor for monitoring Kidney function and drug levels in the blood during treatment. Consult your doctor, if you experience hearing loss, dizziness, numbness, skin tingling, muscle twitching, or seizures which may be signs of nerve damage. Do not start or continue the gentamicin and consult your doctor:
- If you have inflammation of the middle ear (otitis media), kidney or liver problem, open wound or damaged skin.
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you experience itching, skin rashes, swelling of face, lips, throat or difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Gentamicin
Q. Is Gentamicin a macrolide, steroid or a sulfa drug?
Gentamicin does not contain sulfa and is not a macrolide, or steroidal drug. It is a broad spectrum aminoglycoside
Q. Is Gentamicin nephrotoxic?
Yes, Gentamicin is a nephrotoxic drug. Please consult your doctor before taking the drug
Q. Is Gentamicin safe for babies?
Gentamicin is safe for babies if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor
Q. Does Gentamicin cause hearing loss or burn?
Yes Gentamicin can cause hearing loss if used inappropriately. It can cause burning of eyes
Q. Is Gentamicin used for pink eye?
Yes, Gentamicin is used in the treatment of pink eye (conjunctivitis). Please consult your doctor before use
Q. Does Gentamicin dialyze out?
Yes, Gentamicin is a dialyzable drug
Q. What organisms does Gentamicin cover?
Gentamicin is mainly effective against pseudomonas, escherichia, enterobacter, klebsiella, staphylococcus, salmonella, serratia, and shigella species but rarely effective against streptococci and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (mrsa)
Q. Does it cover anaerobes?
It does not act against anaerobes.