Information about Gentamicin
Gentamicin is used in the treatment of bacterial infections.
How gentamicin works
Gentamicin is an antibiotic. It stops bacterial growth by preventing synthesis of essential proteins required by bacteria to carry out vital functions.
Common side effects of gentamicin
Balance disorder (loss of balance), Kidney damage, Hearing loss, Injection site pain
Available Medicine for Gentamicin
- ₹3 to ₹49Abbott6 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹15Mercury Laboratories Ltd4 variant(s)
- ₹8 to ₹29Marck Biosciences Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹17Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹5 to ₹38Wockhardt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹4 to ₹11Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹76Kinesis Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹8Dermo Care Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹14Laborate Pharmaceuticals India Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹7Alive Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gentamicin
- Your doctor has prescribed Gentamicin to cure your infection and improve your symptoms.
- Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping it early may make the infection to come back and harder to treat.
- It is given as a drip (intravenous infusion) or as an injection directly into a vein or a muscle.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Gentamicin may cause dizziness.
- Your doctor may get regular blood, urine, or hearing tests while you are on this medication.
- Your doctor will ensure that you are well hydrated before and during treatment with this medicine.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to conceive, or breastfeeding.
- Discontinue Gentamicin and inform your doctor immediately if you get a rash, itchy skin, swelling of face and mouth, or have difficulty in breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Gentamicin
Q. How long does Gentamicin takes to work?
Usually, Gentamicin starts working soon after taking it. However, it may take some days to kill all the harmful bacteria and make you feel better.
Q. What if I don't get better after using Gentamicin?
Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after finishing the full course of treatment. Your doctor may increase the dose of Gentamicin or switch you to an alternate option, which may work for you. Also, inform him if your symptoms are getting worse while using this medicine.
Q. Can I stop taking Gentamicin if I feel better?
No, do not stop taking Gentamicin and complete the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cured.