Information about Gemfibrozil
How gemfibrozil works
Gemfibrozil is a lipid lowering medication. It works by lowering the levels of triglycerides and "bad" cholesterol (LDL), while raising the levels of "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of gemfibrozil
Increased liver enzymes, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Diarrhea, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Gemfibrozil
- ₹207 to ₹276Pfizer Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹96Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹54Gnosis Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹73Abbott1 variant(s)
- ₹159Kanvas Biotech Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gemfibrozil
- It should be taken with food.
- Avoid alcohol consumption while taking this medication.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting treatment and regularly thereafter. Notify your doctor if you are more tired than usual, do not feel hungry, or if you have yellow eyes, skin or dark urine.
- Inform your doctor if you experience muscle pain, tenderness, cramps, or weakness while taking Gemfibrozil, particularly if it is accompanied by a fever.
- Do not discontinue Gemfibrozil without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
Frequently asked questions for Gemfibrozil
Q. Is Gemfibrozil a fibrate/ statin/blood thinner/ narcotic/fenofibrate/ beta blocker?
Gemfibrozil is a fibrate and not a statin/ blood thinner/ narcotic/ fenofibrate/ beta blocker. Patients should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Gemfibrozil safe?
Gemfibrozil is safe at the prescribed dose and duration as advised by the doctor
Q. Is gemfibrozil the same as fenofibrate?
Gemfibrozil and fenofibrate belong to the same category of medicines called fibrates and are used for lowering the level of triglycerides (type of fat) in the blood
Q. Can you take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor/niacin?
Patients are advised not to take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor (atorvastatin). Gemfibrozil along with niacin can be used in patients with very high fat
Q. Does Gemfibrozil cause weight loss/ weight gain/raise blood sugar/ constipation/ hair loss/ diarrhea/ gallstones/ erectile dysfunction?
Gemfibrozil causing diarrhea, constipation is common. Other side effects such as weight loss/ weight gain/ raise blood sugar/ hair loss/gallstones/ erectile dysfunction are very rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.