Information about Gemfibrozil
Gemfibrozil is used in the treatment of increased cholesterol levels in blood and increased triglycerides levels in blood.
How gemfibrozil works
Gemfibrozil stimulates the formation of enzymes for triglyceride metabolism, which in turn lowers the levels of triglyceride and cholesterol in the body.
Common side effects of gemfibrozil
Increased liver enzymes, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Gemfibrozil
- ₹188Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹90Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹96Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gemfibrozil
- Take gemfibrozil half an hour before meals.
- Stop the use of gemfibrozil if you develop gallstones.
- It is advisable to monitor the levels of serum lipids, liver enzymes and blood counts at regular intervals.
- Do not use Gemfibrozil if you observe any symptoms of muscle damage.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Gemfibrozil
Q. Is Gemfibrozil a fibrate/ statin/blood thinner/ narcotic/fenofibrate/ beta blocker?
Gemfibrozil is a fibrate and not a statin/ blood thinner/ narcotic/ fenofibrate/ beta blocker. Patients should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Gemfibrozil safe?
Gemfibrozil is safe at the prescribed dose and duration as advised by the doctor
Q. Is gemfibrozil the same as fenofibrate?
Gemfibrozil and fenofibrate belong to the same category of medicines called fibrates and are used for lowering the level of triglycerides (type of fat) in the blood
Q. Can you take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor/niacin?
Patients are advised not to take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor (atorvastatin). Gemfibrozil along with niacin can be used in patients with very high fat
Q. Does Gemfibrozil cause weight loss/ weight gain/raise blood sugar/ constipation/ hair loss/ diarrhea/ gallstones/ erectile dysfunction?
Gemfibrozil causing diarrhea, constipation is common. Other side effects such as weight loss/ weight gain/ raise blood sugar/ hair loss/gallstones/ erectile dysfunction are very rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.