Information about Gemfibrozil
How gemfibrozil works
Gemfibrozil is a lipid-lowering medication. It works by lowering the levels of triglycerides and "bad" cholesterol (LDL) while raising the levels of "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of gemfibrozil
Increased liver enzymes, Vomiting, Nausea, Abdominal pain, Diarrhoea, Flatulence
Available Medicine for Gemfibrozil
- ₹188Pfizer Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹75 to ₹96Micro Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹90Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gemfibrozil
- Medication of choice for lowering triglyceride levels in the blood. Can reduce triglycerides by up to 50%.
- Take Gemfibrozil half an hour before meals.
- Watch out for sudden muscle pain, fever, weakness, dark urine or yellow colour in your eyes or skin.
- Do not discontinue Gemfibrozil without consulting your doctor even if you feel better.
- Regular exercise and low-fat diet further help to lower levels of fat in the blood.
- Avoid alcohol consumption (includes wine, beer, and liquor).
Frequently asked questions for Gemfibrozil
Q. Is Gemfibrozil a fibrate/ statin/blood thinner/ narcotic/fenofibrate/ beta blocker?
Gemfibrozil is a fibrate and not a statin/ blood thinner/ narcotic/ fenofibrate/ beta blocker. Patients should follow the advice of doctor regarding its use
Q. Is Gemfibrozil safe?
Gemfibrozil is safe at the prescribed dose and duration as advised by the doctor
Q. Is gemfibrozil the same as fenofibrate?
Gemfibrozil and fenofibrate belong to the same category of medicines called fibrates and are used for lowering the level of triglycerides (type of fat) in the blood
Q. Can you take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor/niacin?
Patients are advised not to take gemfibrozil with simvastatin/Lipitor (atorvastatin). Gemfibrozil along with niacin can be used in patients with very high fat
Q. Does Gemfibrozil cause weight loss/ weight gain/raise blood sugar/ constipation/ hair loss/ diarrhea/ gallstones/ erectile dysfunction?
Gemfibrozil causing diarrhea, constipation is common. Other side effects such as weight loss/ weight gain/ raise blood sugar/ hair loss/gallstones/ erectile dysfunction are very rare or uncommon. However, consult your doctor if you experience such side effects.