Information about Gabapentin
Gabapentin is used in the treatment of neuropathic pain and epilepsy.
How gabapentin works
Gabapentin decreases pain and seizures by modulating calcium channel activity of the nerve cells.
Common side effects of gabapentin
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Uncoordinated body movement, Fatigue.
Available Medicine for Gabapentin
- ₹56 to ₹300Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd7 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹190Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹132La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹131Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹131Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹127Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹137Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹159Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹106Linux Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹162Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gabapentin
Always take gabapentin capsules, tablets, and oral solutions with a full glass of water (240 ml). Do not use the medication:
- If you develop thoughts of harming or killing self (suicidal ideation)or behavior.
- If you develop allergic reaction after taking one or more doses of gabapentin (hypersensitivity).
- with symptoms such as rash, fever or swelling of lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy).
- If you have any kidney problem or currently on hemodialysis.
- If you develop muscle pain and/ or weakness.
- If you develop symptoms such as persistent stomach pain, urge to vomit (nausea), vomiting, contact your doctor immediately as these may be symptoms of inflammation of pancreas (acute pancreatitis).
Stop the drug if you have persistent stomach pain or feeling of being sick ( these may be signs of acute inflammation in pancreas).
Frequently asked questions for Gabapentin
Q. Is gabapentin used as a muscle relaxant or, blood thinner?
No. Gabapentin is a prescription medication and has no role in muscle relaxation or, blood thinning
Q. Is gabapentin an opiate, benzo or NSAID?
Gabapentin is an analog of GABA (gamma- amino butyric acid), that is effective against fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. It is not an opiate or benzodiazepine or NSAID
Q. Is gabapentin (dose 600 mg) a narcotic?
No. Gabapentin at any dose is not a narcotic agent. Follow the advice of your doctor regarding the best dose suited for your condition
Q. Is gabapentin used for anxiety?
Anxiety is one of the side effects of this drug. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. What is gabapin-NT?
Gabapin-NT tablet is a brand name that contains gabapentin (400 mg) plus nortriptyline hydrochloride (10 mg). This combination is used for the treatment of pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. Follow the advice of your doctor as to gabapentin or Gabapin-NT is to be used, as appropriate for your condition
Q. Is gabapentin and pregabalin the same?
Gabapentin and pregabalin are structurally similar but they acts though different mechanism. Both can be used for the treatment of fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. However, follow the advice of your doctor regarding the choice of the drug appropriate for your condition
Q. Is gabapentin safe?
Gabapentin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.