Information about Gabapentin
Gabapentin is used in the treatment of neuropathic pain and seizures.
How gabapentin works
Gabapentin is an antiepileptic medication. It decreases pain and seizures by modulating calcium channel activity of the nerve cells.
Common side effects of gabapentin
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Uncoordinated body movement, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Gabapentin
- ₹100 to ₹356Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹67 to ₹208Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹174Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹145La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹158Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹125Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹55 to ₹120Primus Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹159Crescent Therapeutics Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹92M D C Pharmaceuticals P Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gabapentin
- You have been prescribed Gabapentin for treating and preventing nerve pain caused by diabetes and shingles.
- It may also be used for the treatment and prevention of seizures.
- Its side effects are usually mild and go away by themselves.
- It may cause sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking Gabapentin, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or behavior, new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
Frequently asked questions for Gabapentin
Q. Is Gabapentin used as a muscle relaxant or, blood thinner?
No. Gabapentin is a prescription medication and has no role in muscle relaxation or, blood thinning
Q. Is Gabapentin an opiate, benzo or NSAID?
Gabapentin is an analog of GABA (gamma- amino butyric acid), that is effective against fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. It is not an opiate or benzodiazepine or NSAID
Q. Is Gabapentin (dose 600 mg) a narcotic?
No. Gabapentin at any dose is not a narcotic agent. Follow the advice of your doctor regarding the best dose suited for your condition
Q. Is Gabapentin used for anxiety?
Anxiety is one of the side effects of this drug. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. What is gabapin-NT?
Gabapin-NT tablet is a brand name that contains gabapentin (400 mg) plus nortriptyline hydrochloride (10 mg). This combination is used for the treatment of pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. Follow the advice of your doctor as to gabapentin or Gabapin-NT is to be used, as appropriate for your condition
Q. Is gabapentin and pregabalin the same?
Gabapentin and pregabalin are structurally similar but they acts though different mechanism. Both can be used for the treatment of fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. However, follow the advice of your doctor regarding the choice of the drug appropriate for your condition
Q. Is Gabapentin safe?
Gabapentin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.