Information about Gabapentin
Gabapentin is used in the treatment of neuropathic pain and seizures.
How gabapentin works
Gabapentin is an antiepileptic medication. It decreases pain and seizures by modulating calcium channel activity of the nerve cells.
Common side effects of gabapentin
Sleepiness, Dizziness, Uncoordinated body movement, Fatigue
Available Medicine for Gabapentin
- ₹91 to ₹356Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹61 to ₹208Alkem Laboratories Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹174Arinna Lifescience Pvt Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹56 to ₹145La Renon Healthcare Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹57 to ₹143Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹41 to ₹125Talent India3 variant(s)
- ₹52 to ₹117Linux Laboratories2 variant(s)
- ₹162Micro Labs Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50 to ₹120Primus Pharmaceuticals2 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹159Crescent Therapeutics Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Gabapentin
- Gabapentin should be taken at the same time every day to maintain consistent levels in your body.
- Do not stop using Gabapentin without talking to your doctor, even if you feel better.
- It causes sleepiness or drowsiness. If this happens to you, do not drive or use machinery.
- Avoid consuming alcohol when taking the Gabapentin, as it may cause excessive sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any eye sight change while taking Gabapentin.
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with any heart problems (high blood pressure, heart attack, heart failure, slow or irregular heart rate).
- Inform your doctor if you have ever been diagnosed with kidney or liver problems.
- Notify your doctor if you have rapid swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat that may affect breathing.
Frequently asked questions for Gabapentin
Q. Is Gabapentin used as a muscle relaxant or, blood thinner?
No. Gabapentin is a prescription medication and has no role in muscle relaxation or, blood thinning
Q. Is Gabapentin an opiate, benzo or NSAID?
Gabapentin is an analog of GABA (gamma- amino butyric acid), that is effective against fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. It is not an opiate or benzodiazepine or NSAID
Q. Is Gabapentin (dose 600 mg) a narcotic?
No. Gabapentin at any dose is not a narcotic agent. Follow the advice of your doctor regarding the best dose suited for your condition
Q. Is Gabapentin used for anxiety?
Anxiety is one of the side effects of this drug. Always consult your doctor if you experience such side effects
Q. What is gabapin-NT?
Gabapin-NT tablet is a brand name that contains gabapentin (400 mg) plus nortriptyline hydrochloride (10 mg). This combination is used for the treatment of pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. Follow the advice of your doctor as to gabapentin or Gabapin-NT is to be used, as appropriate for your condition
Q. Is gabapentin and pregabalin the same?
Gabapentin and pregabalin are structurally similar but they acts though different mechanism. Both can be used for the treatment of fits and pain due to nerve damage or nerve irritation. However, follow the advice of your doctor regarding the choice of the drug appropriate for your condition
Q. Is Gabapentin safe?
Gabapentin is safe if used at prescribed doses for the prescribed duration as advised by your doctor.