Information about Fulvestrant
Fulvestrant is used in the treatment of breast cancer.
How fulvestrant works
Fulvestrant blocks the action of estrogen on breast cancer cells. This can lower or stop the growth of some breast cancer cells that need estrogen to grow.
Common side effects of fulvestrant
Headache, Vomiting, Weakness, Allergic reaction, Nausea, Injection site reaction, Increased liver enzymes, Urinary tract infection, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Fulvestrant
- ₹18000Natco Pharma Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹20700Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹25573 to ₹42200AstraZeneca2 variant(s)
- ₹20000Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹25200Alkem Laboratories Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹21428Biocon1 variant(s)
- ₹22000Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fulvestrant
- Fulvestrant should only be taken by women who have undergone menopause and cannot become pregnant.
- Fulvestrant should be used with caution if you have kidney/liver problems.
- Inform your doctor if you have any bleeding disorder, decreased platelet count, or are receiving blood-thinning medication (for example, warfarin), as fulvestrant when administered in the muscles of the buttock carries a risk of bleeding.
- There is a potential risk of thinning or weakening of the bone (osteoporosis) with fulvestrant use. If you experience any such effects, inform your doctor immediately.
- Fulvestrant use may lead to asthenia (lack or loss of strength and energy). If you experience such symptoms, avoid driving or operating machines.
Frequently asked questions for Fulvestrant
Q. Is Fulvestrant an aromatase inhibitor/chemo drug/hormone?
No, Fulvestrant belongs to group of medication called as estrogen receptor antagonists. It is a chemotherapeutic drug used for the treatment of breast cancer in women who have attained menopause
Q. What is Fulvestrant used for?
Fulvestrant is used in the treatment of breast cancer which has spread locally or to other parts of the body, in women who have attained menopause, and have not responded well to treatment with antiestrogen medications
Q. How is Fulvestrant administered?
Fulvestrant is administered by in the muscles of the buttocks, one injection on each side, once a month; this is followed by similar doses at intervals of 2 weeks
Q. Does Fulvestrant cause hair loss?
Fulvestrant has not been reported to cause hair loss.