Information about Fosfomycin
Fosfomycin is used in the treatment and prevention of bacterial infections of urinary tract.
How fosfomycin works
Fosfomycin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming their own protective covering which is required for their survival in the human body. It also reduces bacterial attachment to cells lining the bladder.
Common side effects of fosfomycin
Abdominal pain, Headache, Diarrhoea
Available Medicine for Fosfomycin
- ₹345Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹350Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹345Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3960Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹314 to ₹3099Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹325Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹270Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4270Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹279 to ₹2850Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1999Gufic Bioscience Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fosfomycin
- Dissolve the content of the sachet in a glass of water and take at bedtime 2 hours after meals (after emptying the bladder).
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks, and drink plenty of water when taking Fosfomycin.
- Diarrhea is a common side effect. Inform your doctor if it does not get better or if you see blood in stools.
- Symptomatic improvement occurs within 2-3 days of the single dose treatment.
Frequently asked questions for Fosfomycin
Q. Is Fosfomycin a macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin?
Fosfomycin is not macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin. It is phosphonic acid derivative antibiotic
Q. Can you take Fosfomycin with penicillin allergy/ does fosfomycin contain penicillin?
Fosfomycon does not contain penicillin and it can be taken with penicillin allergy
Q. Does Fosfomycin cover pseudomonas/ klebsiella/ proteus/ group b strep?
Fosfomycin works against pseudomonas, klebsiella and proteus but not against group b strep.