Information about Fosfomycin
Fosfomycin is used in the treatment and prevention of bacterial infections of urinary tract.
How fosfomycin works
Fosfomycin is an antibiotic. It kills bacteria by preventing them from forming the bacterial protective covering which is needed for their survival. It also reduces bacterial attachment to cells lining the bladder.
Common side effects of fosfomycin
Headache, Dizziness, Indigestion, Vaginal inflammation
Available Medicine for Fosfomycin
- ₹424Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹417Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4270Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹4356Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹345 to ₹378Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹314 to ₹3684Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹379Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹279 to ₹2990Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹1999Gufic Bioscience Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹360 to ₹3990Alniche Life Sciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fosfomycin
- Fosfomycin is used to treat and prevent bacterial infections of the urinary tract.
- Dissolve it in a glass of water and drink immediately, preferably at bedtime, 2 hours after meals (after emptying the bladder).
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks, and drink plenty of water while taking Fosfomycin.
- Diarrhea is a common side effect. Inform your doctor if it does not get better or if you see blood in stools.
- Fosfomycin may cause dizziness or sleepiness. Don't drive or do anything requiring concentration until you know how it affects you.
- Symptoms should get better in 2 to 3 days of the single dose treatment. Inform your doctor if you don't feel better after 2 to 3 days.
Frequently asked questions for Fosfomycin
Q. Is Fosfomycin a macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin?
Fosfomycin is not macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin. It is phosphonic acid derivative antibiotic
Q. Can you take Fosfomycin with penicillin allergy/ does fosfomycin contain penicillin?
Fosfomycon does not contain penicillin and it can be taken with penicillin allergy
Q. Does Fosfomycin cover pseudomonas/ klebsiella/ proteus/ group b strep?
Fosfomycin works against pseudomonas, klebsiella and proteus but not against group b strep.