Information about Fosfomycin
Fosfomycin is used in the treatment and prevention of bacterial infections of urinary tract.
How fosfomycin works
Fosfomycin is an antibiotic. It works by killing the bacteria that causes infection.
Common side effects of fosfomycin
Abdominal pain, Headache, Diarrhoea.
Available Medicine for Fosfomycin
- ₹345Modi Mundi Pharma Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹319Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹314 to ₹315Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3960Cipla Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹314 to ₹3099Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹325Koye Pharmaceuticals Pvt ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹270Macleods Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹3900Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fosfomycin
- Only one dose of fosfomycin is needed to treat your UTI. Once taken, the medicine will continue to fight the infection.
- The medicine is in powder form that must be mixed with water before using. Do not mix it with hot water and never swallow the medicine in its dry form.
- If you are prescribed with tetracycline, take it at least 2 hours before or after you take fosfomycin.
- Discuss with your doctor if you have diarrhea or any kidney disease.
- Do not drive or operate machinery as fosfomycin may make you dizzy.
- Tell your doctor if you are or planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Fosfomycin
Q. Is Fosfomycin a macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin?
Fosfomycin is not macrolide/sulfa drug/penicillin. It is phosphonic acid derivative antibiotic
Q. Can you take Fosfomycin with penicillin allergy/ does fosfomycin contain penicillin?
Fosfomycon does not contain penicillin and it can be taken with penicillin allergy
Q. Does fosfomycin cover pseudomonas/ klebsiella/ proteus/ group b strep?
Fosfomycin works against pseudomonas, klebsiella and proteus but not against group b strep.