Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
Information about Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
Follicle stimulating hormone(fsh) uses
Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH) is used in the treatment of female infertility and male hypogonadism.
How follicle stimulating hormone(fsh) works
In females, Follicle stimulating hormone(fsh) helps in the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation) who are not ovulating and also helps in developing more follicles (eggs) in women undergoing assisted reproductive technology procedures. In males, it helps in producing sperms which are due to a low level of hormones.
Common side effects of follicle stimulating hormone(fsh)
Rash, Headache, Injection site allergic reaction, Abdominal pain, Acne, Swelling of breast in male, Gastrointestinal discomfort, Ovarian cysts
Available Medicine for Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
- ₹1550 to ₹22500Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd8 variant(s)
- ₹1570 to ₹27155Merck Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹76 to ₹5543LG Lifesciences4 variant(s)
- ₹7000 to ₹19048Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3150 to ₹23905Emcure Pharmaceuticals Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹1800Bharat Serums & Vaccines Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹333 to ₹643Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹3214 to ₹17745Organon (India) Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹7000 to ₹24762Lupin Ltd3 variant(s)
- ₹3060 to ₹17000Reliance Life Sciences2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
- Do not use follicle stimulating hormone, if are a female and having polycystic ovary disease (development of cysts in the ovaries due to increased production of male hormones by the ovaries and adrenal gland); or unexplained vaginal bleeding.
- Avoid using follicle stimulating hormone, if you have asthma; porphyria (a rare blood pigment disorder that affects skin and other organs); cancers of breast, ovary, uterus, testicle, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.
- Use of follicle stimulating hormone has been associated with multiple births (twins/triplets). Contact your doctor if you are at a risk of developing medical complications due to multiple deliveries. You will be prescribed appropriate doses at appropriate times by your doctor.
- Contact your doctor immediately if you experience lower abdominal pain along with urge to vomit (nausea) or more severe complications such as decreased urine production, weight gain, difficulty in breathing or possible fluid accumulation in your stomach or chest. These may indicate that you are developing serious problems of ovaries related to use of fertility medicines (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome/OHSS).
- Do not use follicle stimulating hormone if you are a man having high blood levels of follicle stimulating hormone that indicates damaged testicles (testes cannot produce sperms). The drug is not effective in such cases.
- Follicle stimulating hormone is not effective in women who have ovaries that cannot produce eggs (primary ovarian failure), women experiencing early menopause (a time in life of a woman when her menstrual periods stop) or malformed reproductive organs.
- Do not use follicle stimulating hormone if you are pregnant, think you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding.
Frequently asked questions for Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
Follicle Stimulating Hormone(FSH)
Q. What is follicle stimulating hormone/ what does it mean/what is it used for/what is its function?
Follicle stimulating hormone is a gonadotropin hormone released naturally by the pituitary gland in the brain. It has important roles in the regulating the release of eggs (ovulation) in women, production of sperms in men and is important for reproduction and fertility. Follicle stimulating hormone is used to treat infertility problems in women and men
Q. How does follicle stimulating hormone work?
It works by Stimulating development of follicles (fluid filled structures that hold the growing egg in the ovaries and release the mature egg during ovulation) in the ovaries , regulating levels of sex hormone estrogen and stimulating release of egg (ovulation) in women. Production of sperms (men) in men
Q. What is follicle stimulating hormone test?
Follicle hormone test is a blood test that measures the levels of follicle stimulating hormone in the blood. It is usually conducted in men and women who have infertility problems or other problems related to the reproductive system
Q. How does follicle stimulating hormone affect the male reproductive system?
Follicle stimulating hormone supports production of sperms in the testes. It stimulates the production of proteins and nutrients required for growth and maturation of sperm cells
Q. Is follicle stimulating hormone a steroid/peptide/water soluble hormone?
Follicle stimulating hormone is a glycoprotein hormone (carbohydrate groups attached to a peptide chain). It is a water soluble hormone
Q. Where follicle stimulating hormone is produced in the body/ where does follicle stimulating hormone come from?
Follicle stimulating hormone is produced and released from the pituitary gland in the brai
Q. What does follicle stimulating hormone target/control?
Follicle stimulating hormone targets the gonads i.e. ovaries in females and testes in males to control important functions related to reproduction and fertility
Q. How is follicle stimulating hormone regulated?
The release of follicle stimulating hormone by the pituitary is controlled by a hormone called gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) which is released by the hypothalamus in the brain
Q. How does follicle stimulating hormone control the production of estrogen?
Follicle stimulating hormone stimulates the development of follicles (fluid filled structures that hold the growing egg in the ovaries and release the mature egg during ovulation) in the ovaries that release hormone estrogen. It also regulates the activity of an enzyme called aromatase which is involved in the synthesis of estrogen.