Information about Fluvastatin
Fluvastatin is used in the treatment of high cholesterol.
How fluvastatin works
Fluvastatin is a lipid-lowering medication (statin). It works by blocking an enzyme (HMG-CoA-reductase) that is required in the body to make cholesterol. It thus lowers "bad" cholesterol (LDL), triglycerides and raises "good" cholesterol (HDL).
Common side effects of fluvastatin
Headache, Stomach pain, Constipation, Feeling sick, Muscle pain, Weakness, Dizziness, Increased glucose level in blood
Available Medicine for Fluvastatin
- ₹473Novartis India Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fluvastatin
- You have been prescribed Fluvastatin for the treatment of high cholesterol.
- It decreases the risk of heart disease and helps prevent strokes and heart attacks.
- It should be taken in addition to regular exercise and low-fat diet to lower levels of fat in the blood.
- It should be taken in the evening after dinner and before sleeping.
- In general, Fluvastatin is safe. However, some people may develop digestive problems like diarrhoea, gas. If any of these happen to you, take it with food.
- Notify your doctor if you experience muscle symptoms (pain or weakness), joint pain, do not feel hungry, or if you have yellow eyes, skin or dark urine after starting the medication.
Frequently asked questions for Fluvastatin
Q. What should I know about high cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a type of fat present in your blood. Your total cholesterol is made up of LDL and HDL cholesterol. LDL cholesterol is called “bad” cholesterol as it can build up in the wall of your blood vessels and slow or obstruct blood flow to your heart, brain, and other organs. This can cause heart diseases and stroke. HDL cholesterol is called “good” cholesterol as it prevents the bad cholesterol from building up in the blood vessels. Triglycerides also are harmful fats found in your blood.