Information about Flupirtine
Flupirtine is used in treatment of pain, musculo-skeletal pain, headache, nerve pain, post operative pain and pain during menstruation.
How flupirtine works
Flupirtine decreases the perception of pain by blocking the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
Common side effects of flupirtine
Fatigue, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Nausea, Dry mouth, Abdominal bloating, Itching, Tremor.
Available Medicine for Flupirtine
- ₹82 to ₹163Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹86 to ₹185Lupin Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹82 to ₹147Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹77Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹86Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹177Lupin Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹59Aristo Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹70Sigmund Promedica1 variant(s)
- ₹210Winmark Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Flupirtine
- Flupirtine is given when pain killers (NSAIDs) cannot be given due to gastric damage caused by them.
- Inform your doctor before starting Flupirtine if
- You have an underlying liver disease
- You take alcohol regularly
- You are pregnant or planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- Get your liver function tests done before starting Flupirtine and follow up tests every week while you are taking the medicine.
- Stop taking Flupirtine and immediately inform your doctor if you get any symptoms of liver disease like nausea, vomiting, stomach pain or yellow colored urine.
Frequently asked questions for Flupirtine
Q. Can Flupirtine be used in the elderly age group?
Flupirtine can be used in elderly patients but the dose needs to be reduced by half in this population.
Q. Is Flupirtine beneficial in the treatment of fibromyalgia?
Yes, Flupirtine is seen to be beneficial in the treatment of fibromyalgia in some clinical studies, however, Flupirtine is yet to get formal regulatory approval for this condition. Fibromyalgia is a disease that is characterized by musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and depression.
Q. What is the benefit of using Flupirtine with paracetamol?
Both Flupirtine and paracetamol help in relieving pain but they work in entirely different ways. When paracetamol is given with Flupirtine, pain relief is better as compared to single drug use. However, both can cause liver toxicity, so monitoring of liver function is very important when taken together.
Q. Does Flupirtine cause liver toxicity?
Yes, flupirtine causes liver toxicity. Use of flupirtine is contraindicated in patients with an underlying liver disease.
Q. Can Flupirtine be used in patients with an underlying kidney disease?
Flupirtine can be used in patients with underlying kidney disease but the dose needs to be reduced by half in this patient population.
Q. Can Flupirtine be used for the treatment of osteoarthritis pain?
Flupirtine can be used for the relief of pain associated with osteorthritis and post orthopedic surgery pain. It is especially useful for patients who cannot take NSAIDs because of the risk of NSAID-induced gastritis.
Q. Does use of Flupirtine cause green discoloration of urine?
There have been case reports that flupirtine causes green discoloration of urine. However, this is not a very commonly seen effect. Inform your doctor if you experience this symptom.
Q. Is Flupirtine useful in the treatment of epilpesy?
Flupirtine is not approved for the treatment of epilepsy. However, a few animal studies have shown a beneficial effect of Flupirtine for treating epilepsy and this effect is still being explored.
Q. Would I experience any withdrawal symptoms once I stop using Flupirtine?
Yes, you can experience withdrawal symptoms once you stop using Flupirtine like sweating, tremor, and mood alterations with long term use of Flupirtine. Inform your doctor if you have these symptoms.