Information about Fluphenazine
Fluphenazine is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How fluphenazine works
Fluphenazine is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of fluphenazine
Dystonia, Weight gain, Sleepiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Akathisia, Dry mouth, Constipation, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Parkinsonism
Available Medicine for Fluphenazine
- ₹48Mova Pharmaceutical Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹47Reliance Formulation Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹50Maneesh Pharmaceuticals Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6Arvind Laboratories Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹40Tripada Healthcare Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹6 to ₹30Abbott India Ltd2 variant(s)
Expert advice for Fluphenazine
- Do not take fluphenazine when you are under the influence of alcohol or any sleep-inducing, cough and/ or allergy medication.
- Do not drive or operate machinery after taking fluphenazine as it may cause dizziness and movement disorder.
- Consult your doctor before you take fluphenazine in case you have past or family history of disorder of abnormal heartbeat, blood clotting disorders, thyroid disorders, severe breathing problems, fits (epilepsy), brain damage, Parkinson’s disease, glaucoma (increased pressure inside the eyes that causes blurred vision), enlarged prostate gland (i.e. if you have trouble passing urine).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not take if allergic to fluphenazine or any of its ingredients.
- Do not give to Patients who are in unconscious state (coma) or severe depressed state.
- Do not take if Patient have history of stroke, severe heart problem, cerebral atherosclerosis (brain damage due to hardening and narrowing of arteries supplying blood to the brain), liver damage, blood dyscrasias (abnormal formation, function and quality of blood cells).
- Consult your doctor if patient is Pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Frequently asked questions for Fluphenazine
Q. Is Fluphenazine a narcotic or benzodiazepine and cause addiction?
No, Fluphenazine is neither a narcotic nor a benzodiazepine class of drug. It is an antipsychotic drug and it does not have any addiction potential
Q. Is Fluphenazine FDA approved/ a controlled substance?
Yes. Fluphenazine is approved by FDA and it is not a controlled substance
Q. Does Fluphenazine has side effects such as weight gain and depression?
Fluphenazine causes weight gain but not depression.