Information about Flupenthixol
Flupenthixol is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How flupenthixol works
Flupenthixol is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Common side effects of flupenthixol
Sleepiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Dryness in mouth, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Weight gain, Increased prolactin level in blood, Urinary retention, Constipation, Muscle rigidity, Tremor
Available Medicine for Flupenthixol
- ₹38 to ₹250Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹54 to ₹411Lundbeck India Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹65Obsurge Biotech Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44 to ₹55Vidakem Lifesciences Pvt Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹31Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹49 to ₹80Kivi Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹49Zee Laboratories1 variant(s)
- ₹68Allenge India1 variant(s)
- ₹30Shirr Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹47Laxian Healthcare1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Flupenthixol
- You have been prescribed Flupenthixol for the treatment of schizophrenia.
- Take it at bedtime to avoid feeling sleepy during the day.
- Use caution while driving or doing anything that requires concentration as Flupenthixol can cause dizziness and sleepiness.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine as it can make drowsiness worse.
- Inform your doctor if you experience any abnormal movements, particularly of the face, lips, jaw and tongue, while taking this medicine.
- It may increase your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol. Eat healthy, exercise regularly and monitor your blood levels regularly.
- Don't stop taking Flupenthixol without talking to your doctor first as it may cause worsening of symptoms.
Frequently asked questions for Flupenthixol
Q. What is Flupenthixol deconate?
Flupenthixol belongs to a class of medication called as typical antipsychotic. It acts by increasing the amounts of chemical (serotonin), in the brain. Flupenthixol decanoate is a long-acting preparation of Flupenthixol for injection into the muscles, which may be given at a frequency ranging from once in a week to once in 4 weeks
Q. What is Flupenthixol used for?
Flupenthixol is used in the treatment of schizophrenia and other psychoses which are disorders where individuals are unable to distinguish between what is real and unreal, think clearly, manage emotions, relate to others, and function normally
Q. Why is Flupenthixol banned?
Flupenthixol in combination with melitracen is banned in india due to safety concern
Q. How does Flupenthixol work?
Flupenthixol belongs to a class of medication called as typical antipsychotic. It acts by normalizing the levels of certain chemicals in the brain in specific brain pathways that are responsible for causing symptoms of the disease.