Information about Flupenthixol
Flupenthixol is used in the treatment of schizophrenia.
How flupenthixol works
Flupenthixol works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects the thoughts and moods.
Common side effects of flupenthixol
Weight gain, Sleepiness, Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing), Akathisia, Dystonia, Dry mouth, Constipation, Abnormality of voluntary movements, Parkinsonism
Available Medicine for Flupenthixol
- ₹45 to ₹340Lundbeck India Pvt Ltd5 variant(s)
- ₹30 to ₹210Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹37 to ₹53Obsurge Biotech Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹44Vidakem Lifesciences Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹24Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
- ₹45 to ₹80Kivi Labs Ltd2 variant(s)
- ₹51Tas Med India Pvt Ltd1 variant(s)
Expert advice for Flupenthixol
- Do not start or continue Flupenthixol and consult your doctor, if you are alergic to it.
- Do not suddenly withdraw or discontinue therapy.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Flupenthixol can impair mental and physical coordination and, therefore, caution has to be taken before operating an automobile or machinery or engaging in activities requiring mental alertness and coordination.
Frequently asked questions for Flupenthixol
Q. What is Flupenthixol deconate?
Flupenthixol belongs to a class of medication called as typical antipsychotic. It acts by increasing the amounts of chemical (serotonin), in the brain. Flupenthixol decanoate is a long-acting preparation of Flupenthixol for injection into the muscles, which may be given at a frequency ranging from once in a week to once in 4 weeks
Q. What is Flupenthixol used for?
Flupenthixol is used in the treatment of schizophrenia and other psychoses which are disorders where individuals are unable to distinguish between what is real and unreal, think clearly, manage emotions, relate to others, and function normally
Q. Why is Flupenthixol banned?
Flupenthixol in combination with melitracen is banned in india due to safety concern
Q. How does Flupenthixol work?
Flupenthixol belongs to a class of medication called as typical antipsychotic. It acts by normalizing the levels of certain chemicals in the brain in specific brain pathways that are responsible for causing symptoms of the disease.